removing laminates on a compound curve

Interested in wooden boats? Here's the place to go.
Sheepdog
Subscriber

removing laminates on a compound curve

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 am

I have a Flying Fifteen in restoration. The hull is made of (I think) 3 mahogany laminates, about 2mm each.

Where a hole has been punched through the hull, my cunning plan is to remove with a router the damaged wood from the outside, first in a large area about A4 paper size, then the middle layer about A5, then the inner layer about A6. Then layup with new 2mm mahogany strips against a former on the inner side, layer by layer.

But... I have not used a router on a compound curvature before (:blush:)

I will be using a small 1/4 router, not the big Trend.

Suggestions and advice please on how to set up a jig or fence on an 'up and down' curve, and what bearing/cutter might be best.

thanks

I'll do the sensible thing and get some pics later :)

nickw
Subscriber

Re: removing laminates on a compound curve

Post by nickw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 pm

I would suggest you use hand tools. A handsaw (or a multi tool if you wish) to cut the edges of the area to be removed, then a chisel to remove the waste. Start by cutting the smallest hole right through, then outline the second smallest cutting 4mm deep - you can get depth stops for some multi tools, or if using a hand saw clamp strips of wood to the side of the blade to limit the depth of cut if you feel safer that way. Chisel out to a depth of 4mm and repeat for the largest hole.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

Sheepdog
Subscriber

Re: removing laminates on a compound curve

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 pm

I like that alternative, working from inside to out. Seems to make sense and to require less preparation and nailing on of pliable fence for router. thanks