Another scam

Got something you want to offer to others , here's where to advertise it
jrm
Subscriber

Another scam

Post by jrm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I saw this doing the rounds a few times on Ebay and felt it was almost certainly a scam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181075509827? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4k for a 20+k machine. Yeah, right. Ignoring the instruction to contact by email (another red flag), I messaged via Ebay. Looks tempting because there are 1000+ sales with 100% feedback until you look at the items sold/bought which don't relate to woodwork, etc. at all. As expected, the genuine account owner didn't know anything about it so, presumably, his account has been hacked. I'm posting it here because it is a little more sophisticated than that kn**head in the Outer Hebrides (who is also quite active at the moment). Naturally, I have reported it.

John

J@mes
Subscriber

Re: Another scam

Post by J@mes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Yea me too. Here's the response i got when i emailed seemed a bit iffy

Hello again.
I would like to thank you for your interest in buying my item and also to clearly some things first of all.
I would be glad to meet with you but my job is not offering me this chance..Because of my job I am traveling a lot and I can not return home and expect to meet potential client. That is why I've choose the Internet way to sell it.
Right now the item is located in Scotland, where i have just moved. I would like to know from the beginning if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
My final price is £4,000 with shipping/handling included to your address and it is not negotiable because the item is in perfect condition. The transaction will be processed through eBay as I had listed on their site for a while and they provide the most reliable and secure services in which concerns the online sales.
You will pay eBay the required amount, and they will secure it until you get it. You will be given a 5 days inspection period during so you can make sure that is exactly in the pictures. The final decision to buy or not will be after the 5 days with the item at your home.
If you find it unsatisfactory at the end of the 5 days inspection period, you have the option to return it to me at my expense and get a refund from eBay in 24 hours after they are notified about your decision.
If you are satisfied with it, you will confirm that to eBay so that they can unblock the funds and send it to me and the transaction will be completed.
So if you agree with what i stated above and you have the funds, i am ready to explain to you all the details regarding the payment method, the shipping process and the paperwork.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM, James Bright <jamesatrials@bikerider.com> wrote:

Hi I might bid on your cnc so am contacting before hand also is it 3 phase?
Many thanks

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 pm

A quick search of completed listings shows it's already been sold twice in the last fortnight!

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm

It's the same variant that they use when selling non-existent cars.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche