Has anyone got on of these

If you need something and you think others might be able to help, ask away.
katellwood
Occasional Poster

Has anyone got on of these

Post by katellwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Record 412 bench drill/milling vice

As can be seen mine has given up the ghost

Used nearly every day on a vertical slide on a metal lathe. The small size fits nicely in the T slot on the slide

Thanks in anticipation

nickw
Subscriber

Re: Has anyone got on of these

Post by nickw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Chronos do somehting similar
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Tilt ... Vices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Nick, I had looked at those, unfortunately their smallest size is equivilant to the Record 413 which is to wide for the T slots on my vertical slide. Mine has 2 1/2" wide jaws with approx 3 1/2" centres on the mounting holes which go on the slide

They are a good price too

Thanks anyway

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Post by woodpecker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

If you Google "record 412 vice" you will get links to many similar vices though not actually Record. There will probably be one amongst them that fits your application.
If not, then why not get your local engineer to weld it for you?

Richard

PS Why are we seeing a mirror image in your pictures?

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Richard

Tried googling the only thing that appears are old ebay entries or ones not in the UK
Got sniped on this on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-DRILL- ... 2576798ed5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Sunday after entering £35 which i thought was a fair price, would have gone higher however sniper dictated the winner

Do you think a weld would hold in cast iron, I mainly use it for lathe tooling and small bits of milling on the lathe

finally don't know why photo's are back to front, could not find my camera so used the webcam on my laptop to take the stills

be interested in your views on welding cast iron

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Post by woodpecker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 am

Hi Katellwood

With the right rods cast welding is perfectly good and strong. I'm not a welder myself but when I worked I had a couple of fitters who did excellent cast welding jobs. As I recall, they used gouging rods to remove some of the existing metal so as to make space for the weld and then heated the area around the break before welding with the appropriate rods.

Good Luck

Richard

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Post by mrgrimsdale » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

katellwood wrote:...
Do you think a weld would hold in cast iron, ...
I've seen cast iron repaired with brazing. A 5 1/2 plane and a spokeshave, both broken when dropped. I know little about metal work but brazing seems to work fine.

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks all for the replies, a friend of my Dads is a welder for British Rail in Derby, will see if he can get it sorted

modernist
Subscriber

Post by modernist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 pm

katellwood wrote:Thanks all for the replies, a friend of my Dads is a welder for British Rail in Derby, will see if he can get it sorted
Try Aston Engineering on Manchester St Derby ask for Jonny and tell them I sent you.

Best welder in the midlands and does cast iron (bronze welding)

He repaired a burst cast iron nut (LH thread) on the tensioner of our bandsaw without having to re-tap it. Just as well being left hand.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;