Machine noise

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
DIY Stew

Machine noise

Postby DIY Stew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 am

I only use any loud machines (planer, thicknesser, mitre saw, etc) in the afternoons and only through the week, I never use any machines if either of the two people who live near me are working night shift.
Yesterday, around 2ish I started thicknessing a piece of maple, the chap across the road (a friend) was working in his front garden.......well to cut a long story short, I asked him if there was a problem, he made a few hand gestures and the upshot of it is we are no longer friends.
We have had a problem with him a few months back, but as he smelled heavily of alcohol I just agreed with everything he said. Anyone had similar problems, or can offer any advice?
Stew

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: Machine noise

Postby 9fingers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am

Ignore him and get on with your woodwork!
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DIY Stew

Postby DIY Stew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks Bob! Short, sweet and straight to the point, pleased you haven't changed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, what really sticks in my throat is whenever he's asked for help, I've helped. On his partners special birthday I made her a jewellery box with a piston fit tray, that's how friendly we were. Since this happened I've discovered two gardeners refuse to do any more work for him and none of his family speak to him.........wonder why???
I'm trying to convince SWMBO to lettting me build a long narrow shed for the garden just for planning and thicknessing as these are the two noisiest machines I have, don't think it will ever happen as she said exactly the same as yourself.
Cheers
Stew

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi Stew,
Sadly in life you bump into a few folk like this. Some are just natural takers, others can develop a grumpy or depressive side due to all sorts of reasons.
In my book the worst are those who are as nice as pie one day and treat you like something stuck on their shoe the next. I just avoid these types and get on with life lol
The "nice" neighbours on one side give music lessons Violin and Piano and that is quite painful during summer months when their windows are open and their bloody bindweed, Ivy and ground elder travel under the fence but they get blast of my son's bass guitar from time to time and we still get on ok lol

On the subject of building to reduce noise, the structure needs to be either very cleverly designed with acoustic isolation or simply to have high mass.
My shop is solid concrete block walls, externally clad for appearance and internally lined with thermal insulation and ply wood for ease of mounting "stuff"
the roof has 100mm fibreglass and an air void under a pitched roof. It does reduce the machine noise quite well but the door is a weak point acoustically.
Thankfully the the grumpy gits that live next door have not complained about noise and like you I keep my stock preparation to more sociable hours.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”