insulating inside a flat

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
engineerone
Incredibly Regular Poster

insulating inside a flat

Postby engineerone » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm

although it appears I have been lurking for ages, I have not, been in and out of hospital for a while sorting out my heart.
so for the winter i need to consider insulating the inside of my flat. Anyone got any experience in adding
internal insulation.
I understand the idea of using klingspan board, between battens, but someone suggested I need to put a layer other than a breathable membrane between battens and wall, any bright ideas?

Paul

tusses
Subscriber

Re: insulating inside a flat

Postby tusses » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Paul :)

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I hope you are recovering and on the right side of the treatment.

Is the wall completely damp free? If it is you don't need to worry about putting a barrier on the cold side of the insulation, but you will need a vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation. You can get insulation backed plasterboard and just stick that to the existing wall with a special adhesive or you can stud out the wall with timber or steel studding and insulate between the studs.
Keith

chippy1970
Occasional Poster

Postby chippy1970 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

If you just have standard brick walls with plaster then I would dot and dab insulated plasterboard on to the walls. Then have it plastered or if you've done the boarding neat enough , just joint fill with easyfill.

You can always use the dot and dab foam in a can if you don't want to mix up the standard stuff. I've used both and the foam is less messy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm

chippy1970 wrote:If you just have standard brick walls with plaster then I would dot and dab insulated plasterboard on to the walls. Then have it plastered or if you've done the boarding neat enough , just joint fill with easyfill.

You can always use the dot and dab foam in a can if you don't want to mix up the standard stuff. I've used both and the foam is less messy

Hope you are on the mend Paul. I think I'd go with Chris's suggestion. Google Pink Grip Dry Fix although I'm sure that there are other products. The biggest problems with insulating internally are going to be things like electrical sockets and switches which may not have enough cable to pull through to the new finished face of the walls and how to deal with openings for windows and doors.

engineerone
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby engineerone » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm

I understand some of the problems with wiring etc

colincott
Regular Poster

Postby colincott » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Paul, hope your feeling better and give me a ring as I can't find your number

OryxDesign
Subscriber

Postby OryxDesign » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”