porch lighting

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
cornishjoiner

porch lighting

Postby cornishjoiner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi guys, I am in the process of building my oak porch. I am at the stage now for the electrics. Asking for some help really (in very simple terms) of how to go about the following.

I have a cable (lighting) coming through the wall from the consumer unit (used to feed the old porch light). Its cut about 20mm from the wall. I would like to know how to then run wiring so i have a double switch , one for the porch light and one for a light to go outside the porch. All suggestions most grateful.

Many thanks

Jamie

old

Re: porch lighting

Postby old » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am

Use twin switch box to connect the three newtrals and earths together use barrier strip connectors, wire the feed to both switch common terminals (two wires in one .a single wire in other) So two wires left going to feed the two lights, connect to switches one and two individual number 1 terminals.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do any outdoor wiring yourself these days, so don't go posting on a forum or anything will you :)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm

sorry, ignore that wiring diag .. I missread your post. That diag is for two switches and one light, like on your stairs.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:09 pm

tusses wrote:I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do any outdoor wiring yourself these days, so don't go posting on a forum or anything will you :)

You're not supposed to do any wiring yourself these days. And given the basic level of the question perhaps the o.p. should think seriously about getting a pro in to do the job.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

cornishjoiner

Postby cornishjoiner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Ha ha yeah i kow your not supposed to but hey its only electricity isn't it, what's the worst that can happen!?

All the wiring is internal the porch is fully enclosed. The flex coming from the wall (the main feed) i will attach a junction box here to add some extra length. Chase this into the wall and run the new flex down the wall in some trunking to the switch box. Then from here run some flex to the light in the ceiling and a flex to the light on the side of the porch (is this counted a external?)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:25 pm

ah ... it's been about 10 yrs since I last looked into it.
They changed it so you could put a spur , or move a light switch etc. but nothing bathrom , kitchen, or outside ...
Before that I used to do complete rewire jobs on houses I renovated.

It will get so you can't do anything one day :(
I restore classic cars ... I can see a day when I won't be allowed to, without doing yearly exams to be classified as 'competent' !

grumble grumble .... :twisted:

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:43 pm

nickw wrote:
tusses wrote:I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do any outdoor wiring yourself these days, so don't go posting on a forum or anything will you :)

You're not supposed to do any wiring yourself these days. ....

That's incorrect. There are some wiring jobs you can still do yourself. http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File1247.pdf

And a lot more if you have some red and black cable ;)
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm

tusses wrote:....
I restore classic cars ... ..:

This one will be right up your street then !

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”