Hot tap

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
jfc
Administrator

Hot tap

Postby jfc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Is it on the left or the right ?

modernist
Subscriber

Re: Hot tap

Postby modernist » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Left, so you can control the cold tap with your right hand while holding the glass of whisky in you left.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby mrgrimsdale » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:38 pm

modernist wrote:Left, so you can control the cold tap with your right hand while holding the glass of whisky in you left.
Er that sounds a bit confused. Surely; left, so you can control the cold tap with your left hand while holding the glass of whisky in you right (or toothbrush, dentures, glass eye etc). Perhaps more water with it Brian!

paulchapman
Subscriber

Postby paulchapman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Hot on the left, cold on the right. Similar to the monobloc mixer taps - they usually turn to the left for hot and to the right for cold.

Cheers ;)

Paul

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks chaps . I remember someone telling me my hot and cold where wrong so now i'm changing the sink i wanted to check . Seems they where in the right place after all .

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am

Years ago, the handing of taps was determind by the hot tap on the bath.
The hot tap should always be furthest from the bath panel, as it was of lower pressure, less likely to leak & could be made water tight more esaily than the cold with regard to the restricted access.
This then determind whether the the cold was on the right or left, the remainding taps were then fitted to match the handing of the bath taps.

gstuart
Occasional Poster

Postby gstuart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 am

hiya

the hot tap must always go onto the left hand side,on sinks,basins,baths etc.

this is in the water bylaws and the reason is for the blind

hope im not sticking my nose in here sorry doug i think someone was on a seriuos wind up when they told you that LMAO

gary

Doug wrote:Years ago, the handing of taps was determind by the hot tap on the bath.
The hot tap should always be furthest from the bath panel, as it was of lower pressure, less likely to leak & could be made water tight more esaily than the cold with regard to the restricted access.
This then determind whether the the cold was on the right or left, the remainding taps were then fitted to match the handing of the bath taps.

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 am

I have no doubt that is the regulation now, the relevant bit in what I said was

Doug wrote:Years ago,

When baths were first plumbed in rather than being a tub in front of the fire, it was good practice to have the lower pressure tap furthest from the bath panel as I said, this could be left or right & as such the rest of the taps in the house were handed to match.

The long past old gentleman who taught me that bit of now useless information was around at that time to know these things :lol: & it makes sense as the majority of post war bathroom suites I have taken out have followed that practice, so no wind up.

gstuart
Occasional Poster

Postby gstuart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:53 pm

hiya Doug

like you say the name is the clue , thats why i wouldnt make a detective and ended up being a heating and plumbing guy.

i beg your forgiveness and bow down to my master LOL

it defently makes alot of sense, im was taught the old school ways but to be honest had never heard of that

wish i knew that when i imagine you remember trying to fix a leak on an old roll top bath with lead pipe tails and where you nip it up and then realise they have made an old hemp O ring

defently also admire the victorian plumbers having to lift the old 4 inch cast iron up many stories on a building.

always remember an old plumbing say what is the difference between pipe and tube.

??????????????????????????????????????????/

tick tock tick tock, and your final answer is ?????????

gary
gary

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I thought the hot tap was always on the left so right handed people stood less chance of scalding themselves (stuff the left handers)
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:02 pm

ooooh ... hot water out of a tap ! that sounds nice !

really should get some running hot water in our house . we have the log stove with a copper kettle, and an electric shower :o

senior
Subscriber

Postby senior » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 pm

I find it easy to remember "left hotties"
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

mcluma
Occasional Poster

Postby mcluma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Why Hot Water is Always on the Left Side of a Faucet

Back in the 19th century, when indoor plumbing was introduced, water was brought into the home by hand pump. At the time, there was only one option that came out of the hand pump: cold water. Since most people were — and still are — right-handed, the pump was placed on the right side of the sink.

Instant hot water was introduced many years later. With the cold water pump already occupying the right side of the sink or tub, the logical place to put the hot water faucet was on the left side of the cold water faucet. There you have it!

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

mcluma wrote:Why Hot Water is Always on the Left Side of a Faucet

Back in the 19th century, when indoor plumbing was introduced, water was brought into the home by hand pump. At the time, there was only one option that came out of the hand pump: cold water. Since most people were — and still are — right-handed, the pump was placed on the right side of the sink.

Instant hot water was introduced many years later. With the cold water pump already occupying the right side of the sink or tub, the logical place to put the hot water faucet was on the left side of the cold water faucet. There you have it!

Where did ya google that from, must have been an American site :lol:

That doesn`t explain why so many hot taps pre-regulations where on the right

mcluma
Occasional Poster

Postby mcluma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm

It sounds stupid, but i stand by that answer, i googled it for Netherlands / France / Belgium / Germany / Sweden / Denmark / Uk

They all came back with that answer - so it must have some truth in it :lol:

gstuart
Occasional Poster

Postby gstuart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:29 pm

hiya

sorry i tend to agree with Doug, faucet is an american word, not trying to be clever but i lived and worked in the USA for a couple of years and faucet is an american term for taps.

plus instant hot water only came out when the old ascots were produced and that was around the 1960's

but i imagine i will be proved wrong.

ive got a couple of old books on victorian plumbing i will dig them out and have a look

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm

gstuart wrote:hiya

plus instant hot water only came out when the old ascots were produced and that was around the 1960's

don't need 'instant' to have a hot tap !

what about the old wood boilers and stuff ? even electric imersion ? surely there was piped hot water before the 60's !

maybe the romans ? ;)

gstuart
Occasional Poster

Postby gstuart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm

don't need 'instant' to have a hot tap !

what about the old wood boilers and stuff ? even electric imersion ? surely there was piped hot water before the 60's !

maybe the romans ? ;)[/quote]

hiya,

by instant water i mean the ascot as in the instantaniuos not stored hot water.

i knew i would get into trouble opening my big mouth ;) ;)

i think it was about the late 1850,s when plumbing started to come into homes,it was in public toilets before that as it was so expensive

the old ascots were a revolution for its time as it was instant hot water and not having to wait for it,so glad most of them have been ripped out as the open flued ones especially in bathrooms were killers but they didnt know about carbon monoxide then

plus to think we use to heat water eith steam many moons ago, and that was first found by the greeks.

like you say the romans were defently fantastic engineers and seeing it was them who created the latin word plumber.

when i was an apprentice we was taken down the victorian sewers which are a marvel to look at with such fantastic feats of engineering that they created and built.

i think i better keep my mouth shut in future :D :D :D

gary

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”