masonry paint.

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
johnboy
Subscriber

masonry paint.

Postby johnboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 am

I have been volunteered to paint the exterior of the bowls club I am a member of!! Any advice on paint? Is the stuff sold by screwfix or toolstation decent quality? The current paint is not too bad, one south facing wall has faded badly and has some hairline cracks, just paint over this?

TIA

John

DeanN
Subscriber

Re: masonry paint.

Postby DeanN » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 pm

John,

Take a look at Sandtex masonry paint - decent price and good coverage. Either use an external grade filler for the cracks, or paint over if they are not that visible.

Cheers, Dean.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

DeanN wrote:John,

Take a look at Sandtex masonry paint - decent price and good coverage. Either use an external grade filler for the cracks, or paint over if they are not that visible.

Cheers, Dean.

.............. or Dulux Weathershield. I've used both Weathershield and Sandtex and my choice would depend on which I could get cheapest. Cheap exterior paints will be a false economy imho.
Cheers, Roger

johnboy
Subscriber

Postby johnboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Cheers. The screwfix stuff is leyland which i thought was ok. i will look at dulux and sandtex now though. Cost isn't a big issue. I seem to have agreed to provide labour free so the material cost isn't great anyway.

John

bainsk8
Subscriber

Postby bainsk8 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:26 am

Roger-M wrote:
DeanN wrote:John,

Cheers, Dean.

.............. or Dulux Weathershield. I've used both Weathershield and Sandtex and my choice would depend on which I could get cheapest. Cheap exterior paints will be a false economy imho.

I am a trained Decorator to BTEC Nat. Diploma level, and completed City & Guilds but more important I have 23 years in the trade, working in 3 countries. I think you get what I'm saying, Roger is bang on the money with his choice. I will only add, forget Sandtex, Weathershield is a far more superior paint and will out last all other exterior paints by a long chalk. Of cause there are paints that are better than Weathershield but these are very expensive and rather exotic paints that have special requirements that need to be met first in order to get the full benefits from them.

I would not paint over the cracks, any loose paint should be scrapped off and the cracks repaired before painting, I would also use Dulux Weathershield stabilising solution on anything I filled before painting.

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”