Scaffold tower

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Scaffold tower

Postby mrgrimsdale » Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Am looking at buying one of these http://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/2.5x850x7.7m.htm
Any better suggestions, different makes, better value, etc?

It's got to be easy to erect (going to be moved a lot), fairly durable - to be re-sellable in a year or so, not rusting - left out for weeks if not months at a time, strong enough for two blokes, safe enough for an apprentice/novice.

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Scaffold tower

Postby mark270981 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm

When do you need it?
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Tue May 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Fairly soon. It's for painting windows as soon as the weather gets a bit brighter. Why - have you got one?
NB that size is spot on (platform 7.7 metres) but another small lift could be useful.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I do have one, not sure of the lift though.

I only ask as I actually need to use it myself soon, but then it's free.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 pm

I've always thought I'd make one out of wood, if I ever needed one.

I could re-use the wood after !

Rich

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue May 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Bamboo has to be the way to go if you want an ecological alternative http://www.oobject.com/category/16-impressive-examples-of-bamboo-scaffolding/ Wood would be far too heavy especially if it needs to be moved.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 pm

When I was a teenager :roll: most housing estates were built with timber scaffolding and rope.

Not a scaff tag in sight but I don't remember it falling about.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Wed May 02, 2012 7:33 am

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Wed May 02, 2012 9:11 am

Interesting old techniques. I learned a lot about ropework from a scaffolder at the time which has stood me in good stead as I am the only bugger at our place who can tie a knot you would trust to lift something over your head.

Look a the way the uprights are doubled with straight lashing then the horisontal lashed over the top of the lower post so it can't slip then the next horisontal laid over that etc. Clever trad stuff which works.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 am

I once had to help lifting steel from the back of a flat bed, many years ago. Luckily there was an old chap who knew how to rig up sheer-legs from larch poles, a chain block and rope, in the absence of a crane.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought mine from the link below.It was delivered when they said and although at the time I wasn't sure how often I would use it ,I've had it for about 14 months and its almost paid of itself.I just put a few bob on each job I use it on.It was £879-00 + vodka & Tonic.

It goes together really easily and conforms to regs....Mine is 2.7m x 1.05m and has a working height of 7.3 m..They even do one which is nearly 47 feet high........Yikes

http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co. ... eight.html

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I'd still be tempted to try CLS 1st :)

It's not long till I have to go up and point the roof and chimbley, so I'll post pics of my make shift platforms !

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Ordered and paid for May 21. Most of it has turned up at last though there are several bits to come. Will be over a month from paying to the final items I guess. It says fast delivery all over their site. Lying b*stards!
They didn't send even an acknowledgement of the order or a receipt until I started complaining. They kept promising delivery but were lying. They didn't return phone calls or reply to emails until I started laying it on a bit. They sent a wrong set first. Then took some bits away. Then sent a few more of the right bits and brought back some of the wrong ones. The platforms arrived today so we can actually start using the thing but still have no toe boards, free ladder, manual etc.
4 deliveries so far spread over two weeks and one or two to come I expect.
Towers and Sanders - more like Laurel and Hardy. I think they may also be Lewis Scaffolding. Don't touch them with a barge pole. They are mad.
The kit itself is OK though. I was beginning to expect a scam but it wasn't - they are just complete tw*ts.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:17 am

You're all wussies. THIS is proper scaffolding

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mrgrimsdale

Towers& Sanders? More like Laurel & Hardy

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Week 6 and Laurel & Hardy still not finished the delivery. Only toe boards missing - doesn't matter until someone gets a pot of paint on the head. They also promised a refund but that hasn't happened.
They haven't picked up the wrong stuff they delivered by mistake. Unfortunately useless so may trade in for scrap if they don't collect.

tw*ts!

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company-revie ... 79384.html

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Toe boards turned up today after yesterday's four heated phone calls with Lauren (Lauren & Hardy) i.e. them calling me in reply to abusive email from me. See Lauren - you can do it if you just pull your finger out!
They are mad. They are sending another (6th? I've lost count) driver to pick up the surplus mis-delivery. They don't know what the surplus is so I might just send it back one nut/washer/piece of metal, at a time. No sign of promised refund as yet.

Anyway the job is proceeding - currently have two people painting all 16 very large windows with Holkham linseed oil paint. Estimate £4k inside and out but will come in a lot lower I think, mainly due to the paint being much easier than conventional modern paint in spite of the cost - £45 a litre, but phenomenal coverage.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Gone on, Jacob....copy us the email !
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”