Amtico / Karndean

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
promhandicam

Amtico / Karndean

Postby promhandicam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Anyone laid this stuff? Any tips? Thinking of doing our living room and hallway in it.

Cheers,

hercule
Subscriber

Re: Amtico / Karndean

Postby hercule » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm

You laid plenty of the stuff. They will not honour a warrrenty claim unless your an approved installer
I would use the pressure sensitive adhesive and ensure the subfloor is flat dry and clean.
Tis good stuff to work with
But you make a f**k up with it and it looks sh*t

jonnyd
Subscriber

Postby jonnyd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 pm

A mate of mine is karndean registered and I believe as le hercule has said the most important part is the floor preparation and making sure its flat.

Cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Floor prep is key as has been said, what you laying onto.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll be laying onto flooring grade t&g chipboard. From the research I've done it seems it is still necessary to board over it with 6mm ply and then smooth over any joints. How do you cut the planks as it would seem to be too hard to cut with a stanley knife?

Cheers,

OryxDesign
Subscriber

Postby OryxDesign » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:27 pm

The guys that lay for me use a guillotine, they always lay a self levelling floor and then sand it flat, as said anything under shows through

hercule
Subscriber

Postby hercule » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I always use feather edge over any seems
Cut the planks on the reverse and it snaps easy peasy.
Let the planks sit in the room for a few days first

Chems
Occasional Poster

Postby Chems » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am

Yes I did Karndean because we couldn't get a fitter to come and do the small amount of surface in the kitchen. Like others said it comes down to the prep. Get some good self levelling compound and pour it and roller it with a spiked roller. Defo buy one of these or else you'll get bubbles and have to sand them off to lay the floor. If you have any low spots poor into these first and let it go off before doing the whole floor.

Then for the laying its dead easy. Use the pressure sensitive glue, get it off ebay and make sure you get the correct comb thingy to spread it. Your standard tiling trowel is no good. It literally looks like a comb and it has which comb you need on the back of the glue.

Dead easy, you have a 2 hour open time and just use a square and a Stanley knife to cut it. Little knife to do neat cutouts. It couldn't be easier, even I did a good job first time out!

Hope this helps!

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:38 am

promhandicam wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'll be laying onto flooring grade t&g chipboard.

Chems wrote: Get some good self levelling compound and pour it and roller it with a spiked roller.

Chems wrote: Hope this helps!

Not really in the context of this thread, Infact it could cause confusion.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 am

Bloody hell...with all that preparation palaver, you'd have a proper decent wooden floor laid in half the time!
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Chems
Occasional Poster

Postby Chems » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Doug wrote:Not really in the context of this thread, Infact it could cause confusion.

What you've never poured liquid compound onto a wooden floor and had it come through the ceiling of the rooms below? You haven't lived!

But to make up for that un-helpfulness, here is the Karndean response to wooden floors:

All wooden sub floors should be overlaid with the minimum ¼ inch (5.5 - 6mm) ply of good a good standard. The ply should be screwed or ring shank nailed every 4 inch preferably or the minimum 6 inches. The ply should be free of foreign material such as dust, dirt, grit and all the joints and nail heads should be skimmed with Karndean Skim coat prior to installations.

dnb8769

Postby dnb8769 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi, I've just had Karndean Art Select laid over t&g chipboard.Trouble is I can see the shadow and undulations of the joins.I think 9mm ply wood big panels should have been used.Can I take up this flooring without damaging the tiles and have this corrected?

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”