Moss on flat roof

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
jfc
Administrator

Moss on flat roof

Postby jfc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 am

I know its not a problem on a pitched roof and in some crazy messed up way actually gives the roof a longer life by protecting the tiles but moss on a flat roof ?

Doug
Subscriber

Re: Moss on flat roof

Postby Doug » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:17 am

The thing with most flat roofs is you don`t want them getting too hot hence painting them with reflective paint, putting light coloured chippings on them or a German system I saw which was designed to hold a layer of water on top to prevent rapid heat up.

So I guess moss will also slow down the heat up of the surface so not such a bad thing, just remember to water it in dry spells & if anyone asks, tell them you designed it that way as an eco roof. :lol:

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 am

It has chippings on it aswell as moss . I guess if its not doing any harm then best to leave it rather than risk damaging the roof removing it ?
Pretty much like a pitched roof .

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:49 am

Moss on a flat roof- I agree with Doug.

Moss on a pitched tiled roof is more of an issue. It's a sign the tiles are knackered. Rather than being solid, non porous surfaces they have become soft and porous, holding water and allowing moss to grow. They will break very easily if walked on and it could be time for a re roof.

My next project is an extension which involves cutting a new roof into this existing roof. I have explained to the client the existing roof may be an issue...

Cheers, Matt.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:52 am

I don't think moss on a flat roof does much damage apart from when it dries up, gets loose and clogs the gutters. I don't suppose that constant freezing and thawing of wet moss would do the felt much good, but raking the moss out is likely to do as much damage to the underlying felt in one morning as the moss will do in 20 years!
Cheers, Roger

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am

jfc wrote:It has chippings on it aswell as moss . I guess if its not doing any harm then best to leave it rather than risk damaging the roof removing it ?
Pretty much like a pitched roof .

I'd leave it as long as it's not blocking gutter and drainage. It might be doing good - keeping the felt down and protecting it from extremes of heat and cold.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 am

Don't do what I did and stand the ladder on the chippings to clean the window above pushing the chippings through the felt :oops:
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:59 am

modernist wrote:Don't do what I did and stand the ladder on the chippings to clean the window above pushing the chippings through the felt :oops:

Reminds me of a job I did for a rather young but very rotund lady who whilst emulsioning her bathroom ceiling thought nothing of putting her step ladder in the bath to paint above it. :?
Unfortunately all 4 legs were placed on the rounded section where the sides meet the base & all 4 legs went straight through the plastic bath as she attempted to climb the steps, I kid you not :shock: :shock:

Before showing me the damaged she asked me if I`d kindly refrain from laughing at what she was about to show me as she had been rather upset by the insurance assessors reaction. I did manage to contain myself but have to admit to not to being in a fit state to drive for 5 minutes after getting back in the van as the tears were obscuring my vision. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OryxDesign
Subscriber

Postby OryxDesign » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Doug wrote:
modernist wrote:Don't do what I did and stand the ladder on the chippings to clean the window above pushing the chippings through the felt :oops:

Reminds me of a job I did for a rather young but very rotund lady who whilst emulsioning her bathroom ceiling thought nothing of putting her step ladder in the bath to paint above it. :?
Unfortunately all 4 legs were placed on the rounded section where the sides meet the base & all 4 legs went straight through the plastic bath as she attempted to climb the steps, I kid you not :shock: :shock:

Before showing me the damaged she asked me if I`d kindly refrain from laughing at what she was about to show me as she had been rather upset by the insurance assessors reaction. I did manage to contain myself but have to admit to not to being in a fit state to drive for 5 minutes after getting back in the van as the tears were obscuring my vision. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen that too, the loft hatch was in the bathroom and the customer had put a ladder in the bath to gain access. I fitted a new steel bath and a loft ladder. ;)

Weirdly in my own house I managed to stick my big toe through the end of the bath :shock: when the kids jumped on me :lol: . It was a rather nice pink fibreglass number so I managed to effect a repair with fibreglass and red hardener, I got back in it about 30 minutes later.

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”