Zinc Roofing

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
DeanN
Subscriber

Zinc Roofing

Postby DeanN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I've plans for an extension going through at the moment, and I'm hoping to have the thumbs up mid January. Rather than opt for a tiled roof, the architect has designed something a little different using zinc as the covering - and it looks smart on the drawings.

roof.jpg

The first builder we've had in to quote for the job hasn't filled me with confidence on the roof though, and tried to convince us tiles were the way to go!

Long shot, but has anyone used a roofing contractor, who they could recommend, experienced in Zinc systems? Preferably one that works in the East Midlands area.

Cheers, Dean.

jake
Subscriber

Re: Zinc Roofing

Postby jake » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 pm

It's a small industry - there are a few big boys and then a bunch of independents dotted around who do smaller jobs and sub-contract to the big boys. The one we used on our extension is London based, but the work is such that they go all over I think. I'll dig contact details for our guy out - he is a real craftsman, a really careful worker with a real pride in his work and attention to detail.

There's also a trade association out there which has a register.

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Postby woodpecker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 pm

I used to work in an office extention with a modern'ish (2005) zinc roof. It was ok except for the drumming noise when it rained heavily. A bit like being in a mobile home or caravan.

Richard

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm

woodpecker wrote:I used to work in an office extention with a modern'ish (2005) zinc roof. It was ok except for the drumming noise when it rained heavily. A bit like being in a mobile home or caravan.

Badly installed, then. It should rest on a sound deadening mat, which supports the zinc on lots of fronds to deaden the noise and at the same time allow air to flow to the bottom surface.

We get a slight deep-pitched noise, but nothing which drowns out the sounds of the rest of a storm on the windows, wind noise etc.

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”