Roll Top Baths

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
Richard S

Roll Top Baths

Postby Richard S » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

Have any of you had an experience painting the outside of one of the cheap twin skinned acrylic roll top baths? Bathroom re-model starts next week and now everything is ordered she has decided she wants the outside of the bath painting. I know some of the more expensive ones advertise as suitable for painting but as we hardly ever use the bath, prefering showers instead, we did not feel inclined to spend on a really good one. In truth I'm only putting one in at all because there is a good chance we will want to move in the fairly near future and a family house with no bath ain't the best idea! Any way she wants what she wants and now I have to deliver, any experience good or bad gratefully received.
Cheers
Richard

billybuntus

Re: Roll Top Baths

Postby billybuntus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm

We have ours painted although when we bought it some 5 years ago we had the choice of a paint able or smooth bath.

Ours has a sanded texture to it so that it takes the paint. Only ever painted with emulsion and its fine.

If you have a smooth side I would sand it to key it with 60 grit then paint. sand back with 120 paint, 240 paint and maybe a final coat.

Richard S

Re: Roll Top Baths

Postby Richard S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks Billy.

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”