Levelling workshop floor - What is "screed" ?

If you need some advice but it isn't woodworking related, post here.
Maverick81

Levelling workshop floor - What is "screed" ?

Postby Maverick81 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi.
My workshop floor is currently rugged, cracked concrete as it has been for as long as i can remember and long overdue a renovation. I am wanting a smooth and LEVEL surface as a foundation to reinstall my workshop upon.

I have been looking at "self levelling compounds" as sold in the DIY stores though i have never used this stuff before. Is this what i should be usiing?
While looking for into on the subject on the forum and the net I have come across the people refering to "screed"...."laying screed".
What is Screed? Is screed and self-levelling cement the same thing?

Please advise. Thank you.

I had previously done small areas of basic concreting, but i am not a builder or familar with anything more than basic terminoligy and products.
Thanks again.

mattty
Subscriber

Re: Levelling workshop floor - What is "screed" ?

Postby mattty » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 pm

You really need to get to the underlying problem of why the floor is cracked in the first place, otherwise the crack will continue through any new surface in short time.
Neither screed nor SLC have any great strength SLC does as the name suggests and is designed to even up minor floor discrepancies, Screed is normally applied over a structural concrete floor to build levels up and although has some structural strength, it doesn't contain the large aggregate of concrete and is not designed as a structural floor, more a surface finish.

The best solution may be to break up the existing concrete floor and lay a new floor including some basic steel work such as some A142 mesh. The problem needs investigating first though.
Cheers, Matt.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

You could "float" a chipboard floor on top of a layer of insulation. I've done that with my workshop and its a lot nicer to work on than concrete.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Be warned....self-levelling compound is NOT self-levelling. You can't just tip it out of the wheelbarrow in the middle of the floor and then walk away thinking that when you come back the next day, your floor is smooth as silk! It needs manual 'helping' to get it reasonably flat ..after which time it will sort itself out.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:26 pm

You really need a special tool to get SLC flat, its like a roller brush and it spikes the surface removing bubbles and getting the material to spread. Otherwise I would describe it as self levellingish compound.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 pm

woodsmith wrote:You really need a special tool to get SLC flat, its like a roller brush and it spikes the surface removing bubbles and getting the material to spread. Otherwise I would describe it as self levellingish compound.

I know. My neighbour from many years back did the wheelbarrow trick. That's how I know it needs help! :lol:
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

cncpaul
Subscriber

Postby cncpaul » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm

woodsmith wrote:You could "float" a chipboard floor on top of a layer of insulation. I've done that with my workshop and its a lot nicer to work on than concrete.

+1
Paul

If you only have a hammer then everything looks like a nail

http://www.fretworks.co.uk/. 2D & 3D CNC Router - Laser cutting and engraving.

Return to “Non-woodworking related DIY”