More renders

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
stevep
Subscriber

More renders

Postby stevep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Having seen Nick's fantastic renders I thought I really ought to have a go. It's difficult.
I used a program called Kirkythea (because it's free and there's a Mac version as well as Windows). The program has about a million options, only about three of which I vaguely understand.
Here's the SU drawings:

Attempts at rendering in Kerkythea are definitely better than just SU on its' own, but my efforts still look a bit toy town:

Sometimes unexpected things happen, like the strange pixellated shadow lines:

So, is anyone else using Kerkythea? And would you show any of these renders to a client?

daver
Occasional Poster

Re: More renders

Postby daver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Nice start, Steve. You're right. There are a lot of options you can set up in Kerkythea (as with most rendering applications out there) but you can manage with only using a few of them. I use Kerkythea and manage to get what I want out of it but I'm no expert. Here are a few things to consider.

-Set up lights in SketchUp as if you were lighting a set for photographing the object. You'll adjust those lights in KT, though.
-Draw enough of the room so you can show the project without making it look like it is floating in space. I generally don't need to show a whole room but I make a "set" for the piece. This helps to keep the light in and provides surfaces for shadows.
-I usually set the lights to create soft shadows.
-I generally don't use the sun for lighting and I change the sky color to either black or white depending upon what I am working on.
-There are rendering presets you can use for rendering. I mostly use 7 or 8.
-I use some presets in KT for materials but for wood grain I use my own wood images.

These renders are all done in Kerkythea. As you can see, I don't tend to strive for totally photo-realistic.
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

stevep
Subscriber

Postby stevep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

So when you export the SU file it exports all the settings as well as the drawing itself? Didn't know that, also didn't know it was possible to set up lights in SU - I'll have to have a look at that. Does it also transfer the materials across as well?
Thanks for the tips, I'll do a bit more learning.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Are you using the SU2KT exporter? It has a tool for inserting spot and omni lights. The exporter will then export the lights, materials, cameras (scenes in SU) and so on. You can make adjustments to the materials and lights and even camera positions as needed. You'll make settings for the materials in KT to add reflections and transmittance for glass and so on. Here are a few more examples.

The set for this little wall cabinet is essentially a small box. On the wall opposite the cabinet I put an image of a Maxfield Parrish painting (as a material) to provide a bit of a reflection in the glass.

For these chess kings I applied some metal materials in KT to replace simple colors I painted in SU.

stevep
Subscriber

Postby stevep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:33 pm

This is definitely not easy! Managed at last to find out how to move the position of the sun, add lights and move them. The settings for the lights I have no understanding of at all - things like Multiplier, Caustic Photons etc, and there doesn't seem to be a real time update of the display when these things are altered. Having to render each time an adjustment is made, then save the file and open it in Preview just takes too long. After about 6 attemptes I got to this, which will have to do for now:

For some reason some of the box files have lost their labels in going from SU to KT. No idea why.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Are the missing labels on the binders faces which are reversed in SketchUp? If so, Kerkythea won't render reversed faces.

As to the lights, you don't normally have to play with many setting. Just Multiplier which affects the brightness and Radius (if Soft Shadows are enabled) if you want soft shadows.

I run KT on my PC and there's a button next to the Render button that will open a window which shows the rendered image. You don't have to save the image file and open it Preview. And use a render preset such as number 3 which will render quickly to give you an idea of what you'll get. Then go to number 7 or so for the final render.

Patience. It'll come.

Return to “Design/Development”