Turbocrd Pro 4 (Mac) Export to Sketch-up?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Turbocrd Pro 4 (Mac) Export to Sketch-up?

Postby Meccarroll » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:35 am

Hi all, Merry Christmas

I purchased Turbo Cad Pro 4 for my Apple Mac about a year ago just to see if I could learn CAD. I had a quick delve but have not used it much since last year due to work commitments. I have a bit more time now so started dabbling again. My query is does anyone know which 'export file' option is used in Turbo Cad Pro 4 to input a Turbo Cad file into Sketch-up.

I am using the free SU version 8 for Mac.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Turbocrd Pro 4 (Mac) Export to Sketch-up?

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:56 pm

SKP
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Thank's for that. I have tried looking in the export options of Turbo Cad (Mac) for an export option with the SKP extension, but can't seem to find one.

I have seen a Windows, Turbo Cad, tutorial that used the SKP extension to export a Turbo Cad drawing into SU but I can't find one in my MAC version.

I wonder if there are any other export options that SU will accept. I have tried a few but all seem greyed out ie non selectable for import to SU.

Many Thank's so far.

Mark

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I reckon you're stuffed. TurboCad can export DWG files but you need the Pro version of SU. The Mac version of Turbocad is limited in its import/export formats cf. the windows version.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:18 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:I reckon you're stuffed. TurboCad can export DWG files but you need the Pro version of SU. The Mac version of Turbocad is limited in its import/export formats cf. the windows version.

Yes I recon you might have a good point......I'm stuffed!

I think I I might upgrade to the Pro version of SU in time, but just for the moment the free version seems to have enough for my limited ability.

Don't know what I'll do about turbo cad, the Pro MAC version is fine for line drawings but it does seem to lack some of the more refined options found in the windows version.

Mac computers are great for most things and pretty reliable too, the only real down side for me is they are just not as well catered for in CAD software as a PC. A PC is probably the best machine for CAD as most software seems primarily written for the PC, but they tend to slow down after a time, get too may bugs, crash.

I might have to go for SU Pro, just don't know if I can justify £400 at the moment.

Thank you very much for your help.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Does dxf not work?

It does for me
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 pm

mark270981 wrote:Does dxf not work?

It does for me

Hello Mark, I'm afraid not. I just tried and no luck.

dxf do not seem to be one of the supported files in, Sketch Up 8 (Mac free Version).

I may be able to change the file format using software, but not sure if there is any software out there that can do it.

I have changed file types for video editing but I'm not sure if the same can be done with CAD files outside of the CAD software programme.

At the moment I am just learning the software but will want more integration later. Some of the things I have seen people do with CAD files is pretty amazing and I can see the potential. Nickw (Member) has done some fantastic renders using sketch-up Pro and Podium. He sort of sets the bench mark for where to head.

I think I will get along with sketch-up on it's own for now but think CAD drawings done in other programmes then imported into sketch-up might work better.

I'm on that steep and painful learning curve right now.

Many thank's for the suggestion.

PS are you running a MAC or PC.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm running a PC but I also have sketch up pro unfortunately I cannot check for you till the new year though how I do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 am

The free version of SketchUp will not import DXF either. OS version doesn't matter.

You can see the available import file types if you go to File>Import.

You could upgrade to SU2013. When you download it you'll get an 8 hour trial of SU2013 pro and you could import the DWG/DXF file with it. After the 8 hours of use it'll revert to the free version. You ought to move up to SU2013 anyway.
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 am

daver wrote:The free version of SketchUp will not import DXF either. OS version doesn't matter.

You can see the available import file types if you go to File>Import.

You could upgrade to SU2013. When you download it you'll get an 8 hour trial of SU2013 pro and you could import the DWG/DXF file with it. After the 8 hours of use it'll revert to the free version. You ought to move up to SU2013 anyway.

Hi Dave, nice to see you back and a Happy Christmas to you.

@Mark... Meccaroll...in case you weren't aware daver is a SketchUp guru from the US and has a regular feature column in one of their magazines. He has taught me so much good stuff in the past and his advice is always sound.
Friedrich Nietzsche

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Roger,

Happy Christmas to you, too. And thank you very kindly for the endorsement. ;)

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi and Merry Christmas.

Thank you Dave, I did see that DWG and DXF files were showing light grey, meaning they could not be imported into SU. It is always nice to have things confirmed though.

I have not downloaded SU 2013 because my operating system won't support it, I'm running MAC OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and I'd need OS Lion. The reason for not downloading MAC OS Lion is that I read that some older versions of Adobe etc are not able to run on it and I may have to upgrade a whole bundle of software in that case.

If I can manage to handle the free version of SU proficiently, I Will most likely take the plunge and upgrade to SU Pro.

Many than's for the help.

Mark

PS Thank's Roger for the tip.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Ah, yes. the old operating syndrome. I understand the problem. It would open a whole can of worms, I guess. Maybe you could find someone with SketchUp pro who might be willing and able to make the import for you. Maybe you could make a trade. ;)

Return to “Design/Development”