Renders

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
The Rusted Nail
Occasional Poster

Renders

Postby The Rusted Nail » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:16 pm

I have recently bought Sketchup Pro, absolutely loving the software and what you are able to do with it.

My question is what software do you guys use for your renders? After looking at other peoples work on this forum I'd like to be able to do the same with my designs. I have had a brief go with Podium however I just don't seem to be getting the same results as what others have posted. Played with the different light options etc, but overall my design looks either washed out or parts of the cabinets etc are almost merged into one, without the clear separation lines you get in the sketch up mode.

MJ80
Subscriber

Re: Renders

Postby MJ80 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Have a look at this tutorial, I use this method quite a lot.

http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... strations/

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 pm

For more photographic renders I like Kerkythea. It's very powerful and it's free. This was done using using. This is just a very simple render but they can get more involved if you want.

Authorized SketchUp Training Center

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

You made a comment about not getting the separation between parts as you see with edges in the SketchUp drawing. Remember that rendering applications are only dealing with faces. They don't show the edges as lines. It's kind of like reality in that sense. Real objects don't generally have black lines on their edges. You see edges due to the change in shading between surfaces. Shadows also play a huge part in creating that separation. Think about where you place lights to create shadows that actually show the shape of the model. If you draw things like inset doors with a gap around them as they would have in real life, you should see the edges of the doors as darker than the front surface.

I normally don't draw doors with gaps around them for several reasons so I deal with creating that sort of separation in renders differently. I make a hidden line export from SU and overlay it on my rendered image. It's dead simple to do and takes little time. Here are some examples where I've done that.
This painted table is designed so the aprons are flush with the outside faces of the legs. I added lines to show that they are separate parts.

Even when there are crossing grain directions as on the door, the separation is difficult to see so I added the hidden lines here, too.

Without the lines on this one, the cabinet would all but fade into the wall.

I like to use my own sketchy line styles for these overlays but you can even make them with the default line styles as well. I also prefer to make line and face exports separately even without the rendering part so I can manipulate the faces without affecting the lines or I can change the lines image without affecting the faces.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Dave, I think you're going to have to do a how to post on that technique. :)
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Really? Do you think there's really some interest?

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:57 pm

We'll I'm interested
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

Micmoc
Occasional Poster

Postby Micmoc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Good enough for me. I'll fix something up.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 pm

So here's a quickie on how I make the renders with the lines. When you get the systems sorted in your image editor, the basic steps go very quickly.

Before I make any images I create a scene for the view in SketchUp so I can easily return to it if needed. I made a hidden line image export from SketchUp usually using a sketchy line style I've made. This image is exported at anywhere from 3000 to 5000 pixels wide. By exporting that large, when I resize the image in the image editor, the lines wind up very thin. The trick of exporting large and resizing down is handy when you want to make very light lines for normal exports, too. The original of this one is 4000 pixels wide.

From the same scene in SketchUp I make an export to the rendering application. Here's a wireframe view showing the model, the camera for the scene I'm showing is in yellow as are the enabled lights for the render. There's a camera for each SketchUp scene and in the case of Kerkythea, lights can be inserted in the SketchUp model and adjusted as needed in Kerkythea. There are more lights in this one than I normally use but most of them are disabled to get the renderI wanted. I typically don't use more then two lights to show a single piece of furniture.

In the wireframe view you can see some other geometry besides the cabinet. This is the "set" I created. Basically it amounts to a floor and a couple of walls behind and to the left of the camera. The walls are used to reflect some light. I don't usually use the sun from SketchUp and the sky is black.

Here's the resulting render at full size. In this case I rendered at my SketchUp screen size of 1570 pixels wide. Now I've got two images to combine.

I open both images in the image editor. In this case I'm using a freeware application called Paint.NET. I resize the hidden line export to match the size of the rendered image. For the rendered image, I create another layer which is above the image. I set that layer to 'Multiply'. Then I copy the hidden line image and paste it onto the layer over the rendered image.

Depending on the lines and the subject, I might adjust the opacity of the layer or I might add some color to the lines. I might also monkey with contrast and levels for the rendered image but often I'm happy enough with it as it is. In the case of this image, I did paint over the lines for the lock escutcheon and on some of the hinges because they didn't really add anything.

I crop the image to get rid of the unneeded stuff and I'm finished.

Edit to add: for the render of the white wall cabinets, I made a similar set with, of course, a wall for the cabinets to hang on. because of the glass in the doors, I imported an image of a painting to put on a wall behind and two the right of the camera. This is what you see reflected in the glass.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks Dave.
Banjamin Franklin

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:50 am

Brilliant Dave
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Micmoc
Occasional Poster

Postby Micmoc » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:12 am

Great! Thank you, M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

You're welcome, gentlemen. Hopefully it was what you wanted to know.

Return to “Design/Development”