Sketchup for my island units

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
karl
Subscriber

Sketchup for my island units

Postby karl » Thu May 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Sketchup fans

Anybody got an idea on how long it would take to turn one of these into a sketchup model:

I need to be able to get these into a cad/sketchup format sooner rather than later - i've sold 3 in the last 10 days, and with a bit of luck, things are going to go into hyperdrive soon !

I'm not necessarily fussed about 3d modelling - 2d will do. But I want a base model that I can easily adjust the size of the rails/top, and switch out the single door cabinet for a 2 door cabinet etc. Rendering isn't necessary either. Just a simple drawing to give the overall scale & sizes of the product which can be easily modified from customer to customer.

Any pointers? I've dabbled with sketchup a bit before, but guess I need to invest a bit more time into it :oops:

Cheers

Karl

daver
Occasional Poster

Re: Sketchup for my island units

Postby daver » Thu May 01, 2014 7:28 pm

How much time? Who's doing the drawing? How much detail do you need? How much information would you be supplying? I might spend an hour on it. Probably a little less, maybe a little more. If you've only dabbled in SketchUp you could expect it'll take longer. Are you wanting to do the drawing or are you hiring someone else to do it?
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Thu May 01, 2014 7:48 pm

I wanted to do the drawing. But I would guess that once I had a base model (and had become reasonably used to how to make adjustments to the measurements of each component), it'd be pretty straight forward to modify each one from the standard model?

This is what I have supplied customers with to date:

And it really can't get more simple than that! Nobody's complained (yet), and i've not lost a job cos of the pencil drawing. But if the design changes, (as has happened to me today), it means re-drawing to scale. But I am hoping to turn these islands from 1/month into 1/2 per week, so want something I can easily modify for a customers requirements.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

If you make the model correctly it'll be easy enough to modify to suit the client's needs. It would probably be best to draw it in 3D so you can show clients perspective views and you can make modifications in any direction needed.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Dave is obviously the best man to tell you the best way to do this - but I could sketch this in sketch up within an hour without rendering or colour. In fact I will give it a go so everyone can laugh at my attempt.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 pm

I'd happily pay daver for an hours work ! :)

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Thu May 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Well it would seem i've run into my first problem....

I have a Chromebook. This isn't a Windows system - basically it is an internet browser with limited file storage (pics etc).

So I can't download Sketchup.

Sigh

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu May 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Tusses, that's flattering. Thank you. I'll take your money. ;)

Karl, even beyond downloading SketchUp, it wouldn't run on the Chromebook anyway. You'll need to find a real computer first. Surely there must be one around you can use.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm

well i did it within the hour, but uh i don't know how to post it up here from this laptop?
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Dave - unfortunately not. The Chromebook is all I have. Might have to buy a new laptop.

Mark - look forward to seeing it !

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu May 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Well, you were needing a new toy, anyway, Karl. ;)

Mark, you could upload the SKP file to the 3D Warehouse and share the link here.

Return to “Design/Development”