OK to glue small cupboard w/o clamps?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
jc2684

OK to glue small cupboard w/o clamps?

Postby jc2684 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi everyone, I'm about to embark on my first proper woodworking project – building a small fitted cupboard out of 18mm ply. The cupboard is going to be very small – about 60cm high, 30cm deep, 30cm wide – with rabbet joints at top and bottom and a single shelf fitting into dados. I am planning to glue the carcass together, then secure the top, bottom and shelf by inserting wood screws into the rabbet/dado joints from the outside. (The screw heads will be filled and painted.)

Since the screws will be in there while the glue is drying, do I necessarily need any clamps to keep it together? I don't have any bar clamps, and I don't want to splash out on any just yet, particularly since I'm not yet sure which type will be most useful for future woodworking projects.

Obviously the problem is making sure the carcass is square before securing with screws – but presumably this won't be any more difficult than aligning a set of bar clamps?

Any advice most welcome!

Jon

tusses
Subscriber

Re: OK to glue small cupboard w/o clamps?

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm

screws or nails are fine for securing whilst glueing

The requirement for the glue is the joints are tight.. that's all :-)

set it aside so it wont get bumped whilst the glue is curing, as screws/nails may 'give' a little if knocked

jc2684

Postby jc2684 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:13 pm

screws or nails are fine for securing whilst glueing

The requirement for the glue is the joints are tight.. that's all :-)

Oh good. That's saved me about a hundred quid on a set of clamps!

Also it just occurred to me that I could temporarily nail the back on before screwing to keep the joints at right angles. Phew.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 pm

if you are hand nailing .. do it on a solid (concrete) floor. as any "bounce" will result in loose nails/joints

jc2684

Postby jc2684 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks for the tip!

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Another tip is to make some 'L's out of thickish plywood. Make a perfectly square corner on a piece of plywood, cut the 'inside' so leaving effectively an 'L' shape that you can stick in a corner and clamp. You don't need long fancy clamps...just those cheap jobs from the sheds. Stick a bit of clingfilm around it in the corner where the joint is to stop any glue sticking to the clamp.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:38 pm

and obviously protect the edges in contact with the floor (or whatever)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:Another tip is to make some 'L's out of thickish plywood. Make a perfectly square corner on a piece of plywood, cut the 'inside' so leaving effectively an 'L' shape that you can stick in a corner and clamp. You don't need long fancy clamps...just those cheap jobs from the sheds. Stick a bit of clingfilm around it in the corner where the joint is to stop any glue sticking to the clamp.

I use packing tape on my wood squares

almorris

Postby almorris » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Congratulation with first proper woodworking project. Just imagine how you feel! Do you have the picture of your project? And what did inspire you?

Return to “Design/Development”