sketchup kitchens.

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

sketchup kitchens.

Postby Tomyjoiner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Just wondering how many of you use sketchup for kitchen designs for customers.I know bob an a few other big boys have dedicated software for the rich an shameless but what about the 1 man bands like myself? Ive used a mate in Howdens a few times but i want to be able to do it myself so do i try an learn sketchup? then maybe use easy sketch. £15 per month or £150 a year. Bearing in mind i only do 3 maybe 4 kitchens a year. Or do i go down the Kitchendraw route? Ive only got a macbook air so nothing fancy rendering wise. Ive searched on the internet an theres quite a few good looking ones but way out of my reach. I just need pointing in the right direction if poss. Cheers.

chippy1970
Occasional Poster

Re: sketchup kitchens.

Postby chippy1970 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:24 pm

I'd be interested to know too

I'm the same as you , only do a few a year , I did about 15 last year on top of all my carpentry work. That was a lot for me.

I've used sketch up for built in units book cases etc but not kitchens

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:36 am

I use Kitchendraw as I only do a couple of kitchens a year. It's pretty quick and relatively easy to to use without a massive learning curve; plus it's free for the first 20 hours which should be plenty of time to do several kitchens. It is relatively limited in its flexibility though and can be annoying at times, but that may well be my lack of experience with it.

This a kitchen I did a while back.
Attachments
image.jpg
Keith

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 am

I use Sketchup for kitchens. I used Autokitchen for a few years but found it quite limited when doing bespoke designs. Sketchup is really good for this, i built a library of cabinets but mostly I just draw the runs out and divide them up how I need it. Speed wise it takes about the same to get to renders and I can present the Sketchup in a hand drawn style which makes it in my opinion easier for people to understand what they are getting. Also if there is a difficult cab or area I build it piece by piece which can save a lot of head scratching. I also use maxicut for board and edging optimisation, again free.

There are loads of video tutorials available online as well as guides for individual rendering

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks Ive had a look at kitchen draw which i thought looked good and was the easy way out where as sketchup will take quite a bit longer to do i imagine as most of the ones i do are face frame and odd sizes. I guess ill just have start watching those videos again, i just keep forgetting how to use sketchup just down to me not using it enough. Cheers.

Return to “Design/Development”