Kitchen Design and Planning

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Kitchen Design and Planning

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi all, as many of you know I am covering a church (See projects) and I'm nearly ready to make the kitchen (prob June / July). Ive never made a kitchen but I've never converted a church either and its gone pretty well so far......so how hard can it be .....(famous last works).

I have some queries though , some of which are constructional and some relate to the design ! Im posting just the design queries in this post.

Attached is the plan of what I'm proposing.

How much clearance do you need for an integrated dishwasher in a corner like I have proposed - Im assuming I just need enough clearance to pass the handle of the adjacent cupboard ?

The cooker location looks awkward to me, as its on a corner - has anyone installed a cooker like this and in practice is is awkward ? If its awkward I could always do away with the very small 300 unit on the wall with big windows. My cooker at the moment at home is right against the wall and its no too bad.

Some comments would be welcomed on the design.Im wondering if I tried to cram too much in - but I wanted to keep the Triangle....its a long walk over the other side of the room. Ive never designed a kitchen so any help welcomed.

Thanks

Richard

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Re: Kitchen Design and Planning

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Oh and the "future units" will be built when I have some more time and money. Im planning on spending a fair bit on the kitchen (well a fair bit for me anyway) so plan to do it is 2 phases.

senior
Subscriber

Postby senior » Thu May 07, 2015 6:23 am

Quick scan.

1/don't put a dishwasher in a corner, the other units will be constantly splashed with food
2/ try and get the range central on a run
3/ try and get the sink under a window
4/ the table is unusable even if pulled closer to the island, there is not enough room to get around it.
5/ islands ideally need 1 meter around them
6/ design the future units now as they are part of the kitchen and it should be treated as a whole, you may be better off with the range over there rather than offset towards a corner or putting a pair of ovens and hob in the island
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Thu May 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Senior, thanks for taking a look. The input from others who are professional kitchen guys is very much welcomed and appreciated.

Its funny I'm struggling with space as the building is HUGE (to me anyway) and the last thing I thought I would be struggling with is space, but here we are.

I have taken on board all your comments and I have had a shuffle round. Attached is V2.....

I have made the island smaller , and realised that as you have said I need more room for chairs etc around table. However I think I may have to live with the fact I may need to move the island away if I have a full house over for dinner. I really want an island so I can eat my eggs in the morning and look over the fields !!! Don't laugh but its been my dream ever since I have been doing this blasted project to be able to eat breakfast looking over the fields. But it does look tight....

The future units are going to be French Dressers I have one already and was going to make another - but it will take me ages to make as its solid wood victorian jobbie.

Return to “Design/Development”