Desk with Shelves - good design & plywood thickness

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.

Plywood thickness

18mm
No votes
18mm with batons
No votes
12mm
No votes
12mm with batons
No votes
Other (please comment)
100%

Total votes: 1

CuriousJake

Desk with Shelves - good design & plywood thickness

Postby CuriousJake » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi all;

I want to build a PC desk with shelves to the side/top, and have done a design in Google SketchUp. Dimensions 70" high, 42" wide and 26" deep (20" deep for the shelves).

Hopefully the joints I've gone for are a good idea too, Mortise & Tenon and going to use small angle brackets with screws to hold it together.

I intend to use plywood, and my question is what thickness to go with? I originally thought 18mm, but a friend has suggested that'll be overkill (and heavy), so know I'm thinking of 12mm and using a couple of wooden batons under the main desk to prevent it flexing.

Also - what do you think of my design? Our flat is terrible for storage, so some big deep shelves should give me ample space for piling up the awkward items!

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
Assembled 5.png
Assembled 4.png
Assembled 3.png
Assembled 2.png
Assembled 1.png

promhandicam

Re: Desk with Shelves - good design & plywood thickness

Postby promhandicam » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum. If it's going to be painted then I would use 18mm mdf - getting good quality ply is getting increasingly difficult. As to the design if you can get your mortices and tenons tight then glue and maybe a few pocket screws or spax mdf screws should suffice - angle brackets look naff.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 am

promhandicam wrote:Welcome to the forum. If it's going to be painted then I would use 18mm mdf - getting good quality ply is getting increasingly difficult. As to the design if you can get your mortices and tenons tight then glue and maybe a few pocket screws or spax mdf screws should suffice - angle brackets look naff.

+1

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Postby Rogerdodge » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 am

I expect you will be fitting a panel across the back to help with rigidity. Like the catflap in the bottom part - keep your feet feline warm.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 am

mdf, housing joints glue an screw or biscuits/dominos glue an screw fill, paint, bosh job done.

Return to “Design/Development”