What Cad Sofware do you use?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

What Cad Sofware do you use?

Postby Meccarroll » Sun May 22, 2016 4:01 pm

I currently use Turbocad Pro 4 Mac. I purchase it about three years ago and use it infrequently for line drawings.

I've had a few problems with it recently which started when I upgraded my OS the the Apples latest OS version "EL Capitan".

I was thinking of purchasing the latest version (Version 9) of Turbo-cad @ £420 : https://shop.avanquest.com/store3/index.php?on=1068913770&sid=mjl6epikhski5dc3qrk813cak0&flowId=2&r=http://www.avanquest.com/UK/software/turbocad-mac-pro-v8-121736

I did a bit of research and found that it's a re-badged version of ViaCad which is the same programme but a fair bit cheaper @ £200 :https://www.cadsoftsolutions.co.uk/software/viacad/viacad-pro/

Just wondered if anyone else has tried ViaCad or running similar Cad software for Drawing?

Mark

Sheik Maboutie

Re: What Cad Sofware do you use?

Postby Sheik Maboutie » Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Mark

Try Draftsight, it's free and a 64bit programme, you can buy the Pro version on a yearly subscriptions during May for £73 + vat if you need the extra functions, I have the Pro version and never use the extra functions.

MB

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Sun May 22, 2016 8:11 pm

it depends on what and how you draw.

Q-Cad is another free one that I use

for paid, there is Vectric .. which is integrated to CNC etc

Lots of peep's use Sketchup too

Sheik Maboutie

Postby Sheik Maboutie » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Vectric is a great CAD/CAM software by you cannot print dimensional drawings

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 am

Cheers and thank you for the replies so far.

Took a look at Qcad audit look to be pretty well supported on utube.

Vectric may be an interesting one as it's posed up on this site with CNC. I don't have much knowledge of CNC but it's an area I'd like to learn more about, maybe even invest a a small machine but don't really know enough about it.

I've not checked Draftsight yet but I will.

I don't use CAD that much but it can be useful. Here are some of the stings I've used it for:

These were drawn to help illustrate how the handrails would differ in pitch when meeting with a newel. I did not draw the newel as I could see how thing were going to turn out and could get the angles from the drawing. The bottom view was the one I wanted to look at.

Just played around drawing a volute in Turbocad, then printed the drawing out on paper 1/2 scale. Glued the drawing directly to prepared wood and cut out the volute and bottom section of handrail on the bandsaw. Worked really well. I took the idea from "THISis Carpentry" loads of clever learning material on there.

Mark

Sheik Maboutie

Postby Sheik Maboutie » Mon May 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Mark,

If you want to draw staircase have a look at Stairdesigner by Wooddesigner.org, you can purchase the programme or use the free version and then buy the complete set of workshop files, cutting lists and templates for £95, it might suit you if you are making the occasional staircase.

Love the last pictures of the monkey tail, a friend of mine had one made on a 5 axis CNC, it cost £600 :?

MB

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Mon May 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Nice work Mark, wish I could use computer's like you guys, I still have to do all my drawing by hand, the slow way.
Be nice to see some pics of the handrail finished...

Jonathan

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Tue May 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Sheik Maboutie wrote:Mark,

If you want to draw staircase have a look at Stairdesigner by Wooddesigner.org, you can purchase the programme or use the free version and then buy the complete set of workshop files, cutting lists and templates for £95, it might suit you if you are making the occasional staircase.

MB

Took a look at Wooddesigner Site and the full price is a bit steeper than £95.

Below is a quote from the site:

"Get the full version of StairDesigner for the special price of only £1,190
(+ VAT if applicable)

Price includes a 1 hour Set Up and Getting Started service. This must take place within 30 days of the purchase date."

And here is the link to the site: http://wooddesigner.org/stairdesigner-software/

I think the company is run by: Ernest John TILLSON, sounds like he is the same as: Ness Tillson who has videos on Utube.

You can download it free from here but I think it's a Demo version: http://www.boole.eu/telechargements_eng.php

As far as I can make out Bootle & Partners are the people who developed stair designer and as far as I know it's PC only. I run a Mac and so won't be able to use it.

Thank you anyway.

Mark

Sheik Maboutie

Postby Sheik Maboutie » Thu May 26, 2016 8:33 am

Mark,

The website is not very clear, with a bit of delving you can find the answer here. http://wooddesigner.org/stairfile-service/

This states that you use the free version, when you want to progress to manufacture you purchase the files for £95, which is pretty good value if you only make the occasional staircase, it is the same for their cabinet designer.

You can run the programme on a Mac using an emulator

Sheikey

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 am

Sheik Maboutie wrote:Mark,

The website is not very clear, with a bit of delving you can find the answer here. http://wooddesigner.org/stairfile-service/

This states that you use the free version, when you want to progress to manufacture you purchase the files for £95, which is pretty good value if you only make the occasional staircase, it is the same for their cabinet designer.

You can run the programme on a Mac using an emulator

Sheikey

Thank you again for looking.

I went back to the site and delved a bit more as suggested. It looks like you can download a free limited demo version of Stair designer from the site but to access your design and print out Drawings (DXF Files) etc you either buy the full software for £1,190 or pay a £10 monthly membership fee and a further £95 for the drawing files and cutting list to be sent to you.

The £10 monthly membership fee subscribes you as a Full Member. As a paid up Full Member you then have access to one of the paid service options such as pay the £95 to have the drawings in your stair project sent to you.

I took a further look at the forum and downloaded some of the files on there which customers had asked for. It looks like you obtain tread (riser maybe) string and newel cutting lists and drawings. Not sure if there were any handrail drawings or cutting list included as I did not see any.

I think the package could work well for someone with a CNC machine but I'n not sure how efficient or cost effective it would be for someone who only occasionally makes stairs and has to do most of the work by hand and standard joinery equipment.

I guess the only way to find out if it's going to work for you is to download the demo version and try it.

At the moment I am just looking at CAD software for general use.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Stair Designer it was very interesting.

Mark

johnboy
Subscriber

Postby johnboy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:40 am

Take a look at Fusion 360.

John

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 am

johnboy wrote:Take a look at Fusion 360.

John

Cheers John.

Mark

Return to “Design/Development”