How to make finials?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
martin64

How to make finials?

Post by martin64 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:47 am

Hi all,
I’m new to this forum and a relatively inexperienced woodworker.
I want to reproduce several copies of these Victorian finials and would welcome advice on techniques, timber choice/seasoning and tool/machine selection.
Large Finial
Large Finial
Small Finial
Small Finial
The finials vary in size from 3 feet in length with a 4.5 inch stock, to over 7 feet with a max 8.5 inch stock. They all have a square cross-section throughout their length.

I'm expecting to have to invest in some new tools/workshop machines. My current “workshop” consists of an old Mini Max C22 woodworking machine and some basic hand tools, but I am thinking of adding a 14” band saw in the near future, if this would also be of good use in the project.

My initial thought on timber is to use Douglas Fir, which I think should be obtainable in the required stock sizes and will readily take the finish of linseed oil paint. I would prefer to not use glued timber to make up the required stock size due to the risk of the glue failing.

Thanks for reading.

jfc
Administrator

Re: How to make finials?

Post by jfc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:55 am

Doug fir is a good timber , i might be tempted to use sapele .
These are indexed finials so making up something for the router would be how i would go about this one . I'm lucky enough to have the legacy ornamental mill but it would be easy enough to make a sled to run the router over the timber .

martin64

Re: How to make finials?

Post by martin64 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks jfc - that sounds promising.
I will have a look at Sapele and I did wonder whether a router and table might be the tools for the job. I've never used a router, so I will no doubt need to read up on the subject.