SketchUp , where to start ?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
jfc
Administrator

SketchUp , where to start ?

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 am

Ive not played with Sketch up for ages and dont even have it on the new pc . All i remember of it was i couldnt work it out :lol:
So if i wanted to start again what do i need to do / get ?

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: SketchUp , where to start ?

Post by mark270981 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 am

I suppose you would need to download sketch up first.

Then follow this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsHRGDvN4sM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and practice
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 am

Download it from where ? What version ?

hammertime
Subscriber

Post by hammertime » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:31 am

I struggled like fck to start with and I'd just end up closing it cause id get stressed. I can just about manage to get the right dimensions, copy parts and fill them with colours. Keep doing it- it'll change your life :lol:

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:37 am

Download it from where ? What version ?
This is going to be a looooooooog thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
LyNx

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 am

Download it from here http://www.sketchup.com/download/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get the free version to start with.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 am

Ive downloaded it before and got the wrong version , then dl it and couldnt use it after three weeks so dl it again .
So i had three versions i didnt know how to use :lol:
Its easy to say when you know what you are doing but when you dont its a mine field .

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 am

This is the best tutorial I found, http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ I went from clueless to creating a reasonably decent drawing in a few hours.
Keith

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 am

woodsmith wrote:This is the best tutorial I found, http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ I went from clueless to creating a reasonably decent drawing in a few hours.
That's the best? Oh my.
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:54 am

jfc wrote:Ive downloaded it before and got the wrong version , then dl it and couldnt use it after three weeks so dl it again .
So i had three versions i didnt know how to use :lol:
Its easy to say when you know what you are doing but when you dont its a mine field .
Make sure you take the free version to start with. Don't download the pro version until you're ready to go down that road. There's an 8-hour trial period for the pro version but it doesn't automatically revert to the free version when the 8 hours have expired and you choose not to buy. Even if you are interested in the pro (and there are a number of advantages for woodworkers who are working professionally) I would suggest starting out with the free version. It's much easier to move up than down.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am

It says i have to pick a template . Can this be changed later on ?
Im thinking for my stuff i should use Architectural design rather than product design and woodworking ?
Whats everyone else using or doesnt it matter ?

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

Stick with these Jas, bit of practice and you won't go over the lines
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am

Yes, you can change the template later.

The Architectural templates have endpoints enabled and I would suggest turning them off. They get in the way while drawing. You can modify the style under Window>Styles>Edit>Edges. Untick the box for Endpoints as well as for Extensions if it is ticked. Then click on the the thumbnail image to update it. If you want, you can get rid of the blue/gray background color by changing it to white or whatever under the Background edit settings.

At some point we should probably connect, you and I, and I'll help you set up a custom template for your drawing work.

I probably ought not to be hogging the floor here so I'll turn it over to the able folks who have been here all along. ;)

Senior might have a point although I have more colors in my crayon box than he does. :lol:

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 am

Youre doing fine hogging the floor thanks :D

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

Jas, I can't recommend highly enough the DVD/download(?) created by DaveR .... I can't find the link to it but I'm sure DaveR can help. There are other sites that provide tutorials but I found out that following DaveRs approach leads to a much more efficient way of doing things.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 am

jfc wrote:Youre doing fine hogging the floor thanks :D
:oops:

I don't like to go around pushing it but since thatsnotafestool brought it up, take a look at this or, if you want the hard copy, this. You might also want to have a look at a video I did here for some ideas.

And a big thank you to 'thatsnotafestool' for the nice words.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

daver wrote:
woodsmith wrote:This is the best tutorial I found, http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ I went from clueless to creating a reasonably decent drawing in a few hours.
That's the best? Oh my.
It suited me because it started simply and didn't rush ahead, in fact I was able to move beyond his instructions easily as it had given me the basics to operate from. Too many instructional videos are fine to follow slavishly but once the video finishes you are still left clueless. I'm particularly thinking of instructions for using Turbocad 3D here not necessarily Sketchup.

Do you have a link for a better basic instructional series for Sketchup that gives the info in bite size chunks and is free to use?
Keith

hammertime
Subscriber

Post by hammertime » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am

Im feeling overwhelmed already :lol:

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 pm

woodsmith wrote:
daver wrote:
That's the best? Oh my.
It suited me because it started simply and didn't rush ahead, in fact I was able to move beyond his instructions easily as it had given me the basics to operate from. Too many instructional videos are fine to follow slavishly but once the video finishes you are still left clueless. I'm particularly thinking of instructions for using Turbocad 3D here not necessarily Sketchup.

Do you have a link for a better basic instructional series for Sketchup that gives the info in bite size chunks and is free to use?
Thing with those free sites, Keith, is that IM (admittedly limited) O, they go about creating a SU drawing in a not very efficient way. SU lets you create drawings in many different ways. I like the idea of using components and layers but some sites approach things from a different perspective which I think can lead one down the garden path. Many of these sites are also created by well-meaning enthusiasts and while one cannot decry their commitment, I prefer the approach that DaveR advocates as I think that in the end you work much more efficiently. It's only $12.95 to download after all, IIRC...that's less than the price of three pints (well, two pints if you're living in London!)
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Roger, I think having tried Sketchup and found that it works (like I have now) then paying $12 for some decent instruction does look good value. However I don't think I would have wanted to pay anything before I knew it would work for me. It's a bit chicken and egg I suppose but I thought the sketchup for woodworkers videos would suit Jason as he is in the same boat that I was in a few months ago and wanted something really basic to get him started quickly. Then next week when he has got the hang of the basics he can start photo rendering :D
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 pm

woodsmith wrote:Roger, I think having tried Sketchup and found that it works (like I have now) then paying $12 for some decent instruction does look good value. However I don't think I would have wanted to pay anything before I knew it would work for me. It's a bit chicken and egg I suppose but I thought the sketchup for woodworkers videos would suit Jason as he is in the same boat that I was in a few months ago and wanted something really basic to get him started quickly. Then next week when he has got the hang of the basics he can start photo rendering :D
He's got to master colouring in first ! :lol:
Friedrich Nietzsche

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Keith,

I can no longer count the number of woodworkers I have retrained after they learned from that other site. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to start any arguments or create any bad feelings.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 pm

daver wrote:Keith,

I can no longer count the number of woodworkers I have retrained after they learned from that other site. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to start any arguments or create any bad feelings.
Dave, no arguments from me and sounds like I'll probably be one of the next for you to retrain.

It's obviously working as I said though because they have a go for free then come to you when they want to move onward and upward. The main problem, which i think you are alluding to, would be if they, and me, have picked a load of bad habits.
Keith

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes. It is those bad habits that can be difficult to break. That said, I find it's the same for those folks who are experienced at ACAD and insist on trying to use SketchUp the same way. They aren't the same and there are many things that you can't do the same way in both. I won't get on a soapbox now, though. It's almost the weekend and I'm busy drawing today. ;)

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Yeah , i'm colouring in ..........

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 pm

well ive nearly bought Daves download but it wont let me pay for it !

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:10 pm

How are you trying to pay for it? Are you shoving coins into a slot in your computer? ;)

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 pm

I've just taken a quick look at the site Keith linked to. I have to say that I agree with DaveR, he's teaching habits that will trip you up in the long run. Look elsewhere for a firm foundation.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Nope , filled out all the details opened an account and click to pay and nothing .

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Watch for a PM.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Well I've had no problems downloading Dave's Sketchup Basics and now have Sketchup_Basics.zip on the computer. But...

With my Windows PC I've double clicked on the zip file to extract it and it has created a Sketchup_Basics folder within my Download folder. It didn't give me the option to define where I wanted the file to extract to, which according to the Readme file it should have?

I have opened the ~Start~ etc... pdf but the links within the document don't work and they are a bit bizare.

I don't think its absolutely vital to open with the pdf because I seem to be able open each video from within the VIDEO folder but it would be nice to get it working properly.

Has anyone else downloaded the file and got it working and can tell me what I've managed to c*ck up.
Keith

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Did you use the native Windows ZIP extractor? It will ball things up faster than you can say, "pear shaped." Use 7-zip instead. The PDF file should be notes to go along with the videos. Probably not critical. I think there are some other PDF files and you should have also gotten a SketchUp file.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh for F sake ! I finally got to paying and they only take CC ! I dont do CC :lol:

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

I managed to pay with my visa debit card? How are you trying to pay? I'm not sure you can offer 2 dozen eggs and a sack of offcuts for the fire for international payments :lol:

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Its taken 5 hours to try and buy it so far :lol: Ive still got to try and follow it !

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

daver wrote:Did you use the native Windows ZIP extractor? It will ball things up faster than you can say, "pear shaped." Use 7-zip instead. The PDF file should be notes to go along with the videos. Probably not critical. I think there are some other PDF files and you should have also gotten a SketchUp file.
Afraid so, but I do have the Extras folder, not so sure about the other files, still plenty to keep me busy.
Keith

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Jason,

I'm sorry it took so long.

By the way, I could use a dozen eggs if you've got 'em. ;)

Enjoy your weekend.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Eggs i have , the dl still trying :lol: It just wont let me buy it for some reason .
Im back on sketch up now . What do you do when you mess an action up ? I cant seem to find a revert thingy so when i mess up ( alot ) i have to close it down and start again :?

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Control+Z works well, though the official shortcut for Edit>Undo seems to be alt+backspace.
Banjamin Franklin

daver
Occasional Poster

Post by daver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Undo works as Nick says. Ctrl+Z works as does Alt+Backspace. I like the first one better. There's also Undo in the Edit menu and an Undo button on the Standard toolbar.

Jason, maybe tomorrow we ought to hook up for a live demo.