Some of my latest renders

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
jonnyd
Subscriber

Re: Some of my latest renders

Postby jonnyd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Very nice nick. Carl at Nelson butlers is a good guy they have got lots of decent timber there. If you go in the winter though take some wellies .

Cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Are the above images still renders Nick or the actual thing? :lol: That looks absolutely stunning and I hope the customer is suitable pleased. The only other comment is that if it were me who'd made it I'd be loosing sleep over what might happen when the central heating comes on. :?

mtr1
Subscriber

Postby mtr1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:21 am

Really good work Nick, and Nelson Butlers is one of the best around. Has anyone else seen that burr oak log Carl has there? About twenty feet long and six feet across, must be the biggest burr oak log ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 am

Yes, Mark, I did see the burr.

Steve, I'm a little worried about it, but I'm not losing any sleep. Well I wasn't, thanks a lot for that. :evil: :D
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jrm
Subscriber

Postby jrm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Really excellent work. Great to see it come together.

Mark, I saw that burr. Fantastic tree but too big for his saw if I remember.

John

mtr1
Subscriber

Postby mtr1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:16 am

I think Carl said he was upgrading his stenner the last time I was there in summer, don't know if that happened yet? He told me it was going to cost £250,000! Hopefully the big oak log will go on the new saw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Today, while waiting for timber to be delivered, I've been playing at merging my models with photos of the finished product using SketchUp's Match Photo feature in conjunction with Photoshop.

Fun, no?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Extremely impressive ! :)

I like to notice ways to improve ... but it looks like you did that before you made it :)

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 pm

You da sketchup man Nick! Those images are amazing.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:04 am

Nice work, Nick. Those are kind of fun to do, aren't they? I did some for a client a few years ago. It was actually interesting to see the comparison between my Sketc-drawn designs and his final product.
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:30 am

Amazing is the word!
Keith

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks Guys.

I've also had a quick play with Kerkythea.

This is from KT.

And for comparison this is more or less the same image done by Podium.

I've not done much work on the materials in KT so the finish levels are different, and the lighting is not an exact match either. KT looks like it is much more capable, but doesn't come with such a big library of materials as Podium. KT is a lot slower than Podium, but that seems to be because it doesn't multi-thread. On the plus side KT seems to have fewer artefacts in the finished image, and handles applied textures much more accurately, in that it doesn't re-position them as Podium is prone to doing.
Banjamin Franklin

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

Nick,

That's nice.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

I finally got the doors installed last week. Here is a very crappy photo taken on my 'phone. I will be going back once their painter has done his stuff to get proper pics of the whole lot.

Banjamin Franklin

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:17 pm

nickw wrote:I finally got the doors installed last week. Here is a very crappy photo taken on my 'phone. I will be going back once their painter has done his stuff to get proper pics of the whole lot.

Nice doors, the proportions make the doors look elegant.

What was the method used between the glazing and bars. Stuck on or actual solid bars?

Your Sketchup drawings look very impressive. Do you mind saying which version you are using and is it a professional version.

Very impressive work both in sketchup and joinery.

Mark

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Mark,

Stuck on! How very dare you! :D No they're real glazing bars with real fillets on the back side.

SU 2013 Pro

For those that can stand a bit of WIPery, with apologies that I didn't make a more complete job of the photography:

Frame set up, levelled, squared and out of wind.
... and screwed to the floor to stop it moving/falling on me.

Glazing bar emerging from second pass through moulder...
... and a faked up view of how the fence was set up to support it on that pass.

Loadsa glazing bars.

Set up for scribing the door rails. Not a great picture, sorry.

Dry assembly of door.

The glazing bars are tenoned into the frame and each other.

The architrave (125 x 50mm) was made in two sections and glued together. The top rail (one shown here) is 3.3m long. You can never have too many clamps.

All the architraves, and in the background there is a stack of glazing fillets.

Thanks to those who gave me advice on the making of these doors.
Banjamin Franklin

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Nick, for whatever reason, I've missed this thread - how very dare I.

I do remember the very early stages, but I've just updated myself and read through.

Stunning work Sir! I absolutely love the window seat - beautifully executed! 8-)

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Coming from you, Pinch, I'm honoured.
Banjamin Franklin

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm

I have not had any experience of using a vacuum bag, is there any possibility you could point me in the right direction so I can start learning. Eg suppliers etc? Equipment needed?
Looks like it could be handy for a project i have in mind.

Mark

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 am

Mark,

There are two major suppliers in this country AirPress and BagPress. As far as I can tell the major difference between them is the material used for, and therefore the price of, their bags. Airpress (which I have) use pvc bags which some reckon are more prone to damage than BagPresses rubbery ones. I have picked up a few punctures in my bags over the years, but I stick a bit of vinyl over the hole on both sides and things work fine again.

There are other, more DIY methods which if you search the forum you will find people talking about but I have no experience of these.
Banjamin Franklin

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Having played a little with Kerkythea (KT) I got put off by its poor user interface and lack of development and support, so I thought I'd give Thea Render (TR) (which as I understand it is a commercial development of KT). I was immediately impressed with TR, it just seems better implemented and easier to use than KT.

Then, on a whim, I tried the Maxwell Render (MR) plugin for SU. The user interface is much cleaner than KT or TR and the way that you specify materials has been very much simplified, although of course you do loose out on fine control. Plus MR has a huge online library of ready made materials. I really liked the simplicity of MR until ... MR has only one rendering algorithm of the sort that makes a very grainy image to start with and the refines it over time. You can choose how many iterations that the engine goes through before it stops, or set it to max and stop it when it looks good enough.

Here is a render made by MR at 800 pixels by 300 odd.

You can see in the inner corner of the left hand cabinet an area where the pixellation is still visible. Now I left this image processing for well over 24 hours on my rather powerful (though I say it myself) laptop. This really is not acceptable.

Here is the same scene rendered by TR at the same resolution:
TR has 8 rendering algorithms, most of which have several sub-methods. This render was made with TR's Adaptive(BSD) algorithm using the Interior Medium option (there are 5 interior options, 8 exterior ones and a smattering of others) in just 7 minutes!

Now there are some differences in the images, and no doubt with a bit of playing I could reduce them, but for me the TR image is something I would be much happier sharing with even a very picky client than the MR one.

Cost? Maxwell is 75 euros,TR is currently on sale at a "reduced price" of 245 euros which includes the SU plugin and standalone Thea (you can't buy the plugin on its own). Both are available to try for free. There is a free version of MR which will only run an even slower version of its engine (yes I bought it in a rush before I had found out the big downside). The free version of TR puts watermarks in the images produced. As you can see I bought TR too, and that is the renderer I will be using from now on.
Banjamin Franklin

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:50 pm

DaveR mentioned earlier that one of the giveaways of a render is the infinite depth of field. Well take a look at this:
which just rendered in 5 min 17 sec using Adaptive>Interior Medium.
Banjamin Franklin

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Those images look incredible Nick but I have to say I haven't really got a clue what you are talking about :lol:

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 pm

That's nice, Nick.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:08 pm

good but ..
the glas door on the right , is a different distance from the end of the cabinet behind it.
If you sharpened up the glass and metal fitting a touch. it would pop right out and be more realistic IMHO

I only crit and a positive input for your strive for perfection :)

:)

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 pm

Sorry Tusses, but I don't understand what you're saying. :?
Banjamin Franklin

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 pm

for correct depth of field ... everything in a set distance from the lens will be in the same focus.
things closer or further away will be blurred
the glass door is much further in front of the background, so the focus (blur/sharpness) should be different

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Ah, so you're saying you don't like my choice of focus point and/or aperture. Well, I was only playing, and using an extremely wide aperture just to make the point.

Is this any better for you? :D
Banjamin Franklin

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 am

This is very clever. If I didn't know, I would have thought this to be a photograph - the whole idea I guess. I'm a bit lost when it comes to clever computer stuff :|

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 am

nickw wrote:Ah, so you're saying you don't like my choice of focus point and/or aperture. Well, I was only playing, and using an extremely wide aperture just to make the point.

Is this any better for you? :D

Yes :)
maybe slightly wider, but the bits you'd expect to be sharp, are.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Here's one of those projects that didn't come off - pew risers for a chapel. The pewter effect standards were designed to match existing candlesticks, and it was intended to have dimmable LED strip lighting in the light tubes. The risers were designed to be easily removable while at the same time not requiring any changes to the existing, listed, pews.

Banjamin Franklin

mtr1
Subscriber

Postby mtr1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:07 pm

That's really smart Nick, I must get my head around it one day. Photography this year, sketchup the next..

Return to “Design/Development”