Workbench clean up?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Guncutter

Workbench clean up?

Postby Guncutter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 pm

I bought a pretty good woodworking bench, second hand, made of solid wood - vices, bench dogs etc

Really happy with it, it is level but has a lot of staining and grime down one side of the top. The owner had passed away and his family had let it sit for some time.... He had used it well, plenty of marks in the top of it from use, I'm not to concerned about that but would like to get rid of the discolouration on the one side.

I'm looking for some tips on cleaning it up and was thinking of just sanding it with a belt sander or orbital?

Not confident enough to take a hand plane to it, as I'm pretty new to the hobby and only have a no.4 anyway.

Any other suggestions? or input on the sanding option? Do not want to ruin the thing!
Thanks.

bdshim
Occasional Poster

Re: Workbench clean up?

Postby bdshim » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Belt sander keep it moving if you use a handplane being old there could be pins inbeeded in places.
Good luck

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:16 pm

bdshim wrote:Belt sander keep it moving if you use a handplane being old there could be pins inbeeded in places.
Good luck

Ok thanks. Any thoughts on the grit/grits to use? and would I need to use the orbital as well after belt sanding. I've only been using hand tools to make a few small projects so far, so this is new ground for me. Thanks.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 pm

A photo of said bench might help, but I would say 100 or 120g if using a belt sander possibly followed by 120g ROS. If just using a ROS then 60g or 80g to start and then 120g to finish. A ROS is easier to control than a belt sander so you risk doing serious damage with coarser grits on a belt sander if you aren't used to using one - don't ask me how i know!

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm

promhandicam wrote:A photo of said bench might help, but I would say 100 or 120g if using a belt sander possibly followed by 120g ROS. If just using a ROS then 60g or 80g to start and then 120g to finish. A ROS is easier to control than a belt sander so you risk doing serious damage with coarser grits on a belt sander if you aren't used to using one - don't ask me how i know!

Thanks, that's what I was worried about with the belt sander!

Here's the bench. Any more thoughts?

IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4788.JPG (32.62 KiB) Viewed 765 times

IMG_4791.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 765 times

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:25 am

Ok. I'd probably start by using a cabinet scraper to remote the varnish and then use a ROS or orbital sander. Finally a couple of coats of hard wax oil to protect the top.

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

promhandicam wrote:Ok. I'd probably start by using a cabinet scraper to remote the varnish and then use a ROS or orbital sander. Finally a couple of coats of hard wax oil to protect the top.

Thanks, sounds like a plan, I appreciate the help.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:07 pm

It's a workbench. What does a bit of discolouration matter?
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:25 am

nickw wrote:It's a workbench. What does a bit of discolouration matter?

I was thinking that .. I'd much rather have the patina and history that it must have :-)

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:22 pm

tusses wrote:

I was thinking that .. I'd much rather have the patina and history that it must have :-)

Fair points, I can't really argue with I guess, but like I said in the original post, plenty of chisel and saw marks in it which I have no problem with just wanted to clean it up a little, get rid of some of the discolouration. I'll be cleaning up the vices anyway. I admire the history of it also, his son thought it might be nearly as old as me!

But I would still like to clean it up a little, it looks more dramatic than the pics show and had all sorts of paint, oils etc sitting on top of it for the last year at least. It just feels kinda "grimey", for want of a better word!

riclepp
Occasional Poster

Postby riclepp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Why not just rub down and reoil....keeping the patina and history?

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:46 pm

riclepp wrote:Why not just rub down and reoil....keeping the patina and history?

When you say rub it down, you mean simply clean it? Would you suggest something specific to rub it down with? Sorry for the newb question here!

And any particular oil, Danish oil?

Thanks.

riclepp
Occasional Poster

Postby riclepp » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

If the bench is beech, you could use 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it down all over. If oak I wouldn't use steel wool and would use a decent abrasive paper and start at around 150 and work up through the grades to about 320. You would not need to rub it down to within an inch of its life, but enough to get rid of bits sticking up and such like. Be careful for any nails or pins sticking up, remove them beforehand unless you have already done this.

What finish to use, good question. You could use boiled linseed oil, danish, teak....the choice is really one of personal choice. On mine I used blo mix, but that's just me

Hope this helps, I am sure others may offer differing advice, it all helps :D

Cheers

Guncutter

Postby Guncutter » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

riclepp wrote:If the bench is beech, you could use 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it down all over. If oak I wouldn't use steel wool and would use a decent abrasive paper and start at around 150 and work up through the grades to about 320. You would not need to rub it down to within an inch of its life, but enough to get rid of bits sticking up and such like. Be careful for any nails or pins sticking up, remove them beforehand unless you have already done this.

What finish to use, good question. You could use boiled linseed oil, danish, teak....the choice is really one of personal choice. On mine I used blo mix, but that's just me

Cheers

Great thanks, very helpful. Think I'll go with this first and see how it turns out.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun May 07, 2017 8:14 am

riclepp wrote:If the bench is beech, you could use 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it down all over. If oak I wouldn't use steel wool and would use a decent abrasive paper and start at around 150 and work up through the grades to about 320. You would not need to rub it down to within an inch of its life, but enough to get rid of bits sticking up and such like. Be careful for any nails or pins sticking up, remove them beforehand unless you have already done this.

Cheers

0000 steel wool? 320 grit :o You are joking, surely? It's a workbench...not a piece of furniture. The poor chap is going to be there until Christmas.

If it's anything like my bench, it has dings and lumps of hardened glue on it. As Steve (prom) suggests, a cabinet scraper is a good start and knowing how to sharpen, burnish and use a scraper is a very useful skill IMO.

Personally I loath Danish/Tung oil or any oil for that matter but if pushed I'd prefer to use a hard wax oil from Osmo or similar. But do apply it sparingly...very sparingly otherwise you will end up with a gooey sticky mess.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

riclepp
Occasional Poster

Postby riclepp » Sun May 07, 2017 11:41 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:

Cheers

0000 steel wool? 320 grit :o You are joking, surely? It's a workbench...not a piece of furniture. The poor chap is going to be there until Christmas.

If it's anything like my bench, it has dings and lumps of hardened glue on it. As Steve (prom) suggests, a cabinet scraper is a good start and knowing how to sharpen, burnish and use a scraper is a very useful skill IMO.

Personally I loath Danish/Tung oil or any oil for that matter but if pushed I'd prefer to use a hard wax oil from Osmo or similar. But do apply it sparingly...very sparingly otherwise you will end up with a gooey sticky mess.

How slow do you sand then?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun May 07, 2017 12:47 pm

0000 steel wool or 320 grit for a workbench top is just plain daft.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Figaro

Postby Figaro » Sat May 13, 2017 8:41 am

I think it adds character.

Return to “Woodworking”