Tulip or maple? (Here we go again)

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Tulip or maple? (Here we go again)

Postby davidpidge » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

So. I use tulipwood for all my doors and face frames on kitchens, wardrobes etc. Its inexpensive and easy to machine/paint etc but dents if you look at it too harshly! I used american hard maple for the first time recently to make some spice racks and its lovely stuff. I've seen people on instagram using it over tulip for kitchens but just wanted some opinions on its suitability. Is there another option?
Basically how does maple perform in terms of seasonal change, painting etc? The timver is such a small % of the overall cost of a kitchen that even doubling it wouldn't matter much overall.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Re: Tulip or maple? (Here we go again)

Postby Roger-M » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I've not used Maple, but agree that tulipwood damages too easily. If it's going to be painted, I find steamed beech to machine well, takes knocks, and is stable. However, I made the mistake of using some un-steamed beech for some kitchen door frames and it warped all over the place and would never use again for that purpose.
Cheers, Roger

podengo
Occasional Poster

Postby podengo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Ive used paint grade maple for the last 2 kitchens, its a much nicer material than maple, so I can certainly recommend it.

Maple isnt very forgiving, it needs sharp cutters, but it machines and cuts well. Sanding is grest, it cleans up well, no fluffy, woolly issues you get with tulip.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm

podengo wrote:Ive used paint grade maple, it cleans up well, no fluffy, woolly issues you get with tulip.

Cheers. Whos your supplier? I know what you mean about the furry tulipwood. Another reason to switch.

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

I changed from Tulip to steamed beech. Is so much nicer to machine and paint. Also I found I was getting much less wastage when planing than Tulip with the Polymer? Beech. I often had to buy really oversize in Tulip to get down to section as it was all over the place.

murdoch

Postby murdoch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm

We switched from tulip to paint grade maple about 3 years ago. Way better in most regards but you need sharp cutters. We buy around 2 meters a month from Latham’s, paid £890 a meter last week.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 pm

murdoch wrote:We switched from tulip to paint grade maple about 3 years ago. Way better in most regards but you need sharp cutters. We buy around 2 meters a month from Latham’s, paid £890 a meter last week.

Thanks for the info. Was that for sawn or par boards? Lovely website by the way. Noticed you have an image of a sloping draining worktop next to a sink. I was just considering this for the next worktop i do as i saw it in a stone top and thought it looked better than standard draining grooves.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 am

Murdock
Great website!
I noticed your draws have what looks like hand cut dovetails, are they, how do you do them?

I'm going to have to try this steamed beach, been using tulip for years with no problems but interesting to use different materials .

Jonathan in Spain

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 am

Interestingly (up for debate) the tulipwood i just picked up for my latest kitchen is the good stuff. Heavier (denser) than some of the really pale/green coloured stuff with a darker greyish colour. Big flat straight boards as well. Must be a different saw mill.

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Maple is crazy expensive over here in Germany, I was shocked when I got a price on it, but the beech is cheap and even cheaper if i go to the mill.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Hard maple is approximately double the cost of tulipwood from my usual supplier.

_lotusbleu

Postby _lotusbleu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am

I have found you have to be a lot more careful when machining maple to get a clean finish.

Also it seems to more readily warp than tulip, I think as can hold a lot of tension in the boards.
If you have to machine down a fair amount in thickness then make sure you flip the board with each pass, taking off an equal amount from both sides of the board to avoid bowing from uneven tension release.

Return to “Woodworking”