rough sawn veneer

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

rough sawn veneer

Postby davidpidge » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi all,
Anyone used a rough sawn veneer or know where I can get it on birch ply with matching edging?
Like this...
http://www.the-veneer.com/veneers/rough-cut/

Cheers
David

furynaturre
Subscriber

Re: rough sawn veneer

Postby furynaturre » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:24 am

David,

I have done a whole kitchen in rough sawn oak, not too diificult to use, but you'll never get the lines to line up! I bought mine from Mundy's who I highly recommend.

I don't think you'll find pre-veneered boards, but somone like Thornell will happily do it for for you I expect.

If you are gooig to do it yourself, you obviously can't sand it after the event, I did run a handheld brushing machine with a nylon wheel in it accross mine to eliminate a bit of fuzz.

You have to be careful with bleed through, the veneer is quite porous in spots so you need a 'thick thicky' adhesive I used UF with plenty of filler powder in it, PVA was ok but I found it dried to quickly (I assume because of the porous nature of the sawn veneer).

Although the sawn veneer is about 2.5mm thick I found a standrad 0.6 balancer fine because it's not 2.5mm all over, No commercial veneerer I spoke to had used so I just had to experiment.

James

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks for all the info James. What did you do about edging? Did you need a bag press for the face veneers?

This is for some window shutters in a clients bathroom. I made the bathroom furniture a while ago with the vanity doors and cistern cover being 'bandsawn' ash but I did it all solid and got the desired effect with a 3tpi blade on the bandsaw. I didn't realise at the time that all that 'rough sawn effect' stuff I'd seen was actually veneer so that would have saved some headaches!

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 pm

You have a choice for the edging, if like me you do a standard veneer back you can use smooth 2mm veneer edging, which I thought looked acceptble as I also had an inset handle detail.

Or use this..

https://www.ostermann.eu/en_GB/product/ ... -sawn-look

Pretty sure it would go through my ancient hand held edge bander ok!

Oh and yes, big bag press, was able to do 2 No. 600x2100 doors at a time with a 2700x1300 bag and a load of MFC for cauls!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Cheers, I think smooth ash edging will be fine but unfortunately I don't have a bag press to veneer my own panels. I do know a company that can do it for me though so that'll be the way to go now.
Thanks for that link. Not sure why I couldn't find that when I searched for rough edging.

Return to “Woodworking”