Curved Mouldings

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Curved Mouldings

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 am

Hi guys . I’ve made and installed new sash windows at my house . They have curved heads that sit under the brickwork arches.

I need to make a curved architrave for the head of the window
Any ideas how I can do this ?

I was thinking about setting up a trammel on a router , but this seems long winded as I’ll need lots of different cuts / passes to do it . I also don’t have a router table to do the straight runs.

Or I was thinking I’d grind a cutter / use a mound with no hollows so I can mould it on the spindle from the side rather than face of architrave .

Is there an easier way to do this ? Doesn’t have to be a complicated mould

Any advice would be greatly welcomed

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Curved Mouldings

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am

Until someone more knowledgable than I comes along, have you Googled Youtube for 'ring fence' ? Lots of videos there
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi - a ring fence was my fall back option but that mounds it the wrong way if you know what I mean - e.g you wouldn’t run an architrave usually thin end against the xuttter , you would run it thick end so it mould the face

I’ve attached a picture of what I’m trying to make an architrave as the a picture paints a ...

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 pm

IMG_0896.jpg

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 pm

If its curved architraves I would make up a template by using a router and trammel to get the section to the correct curve then make up sled to run the curved timber on. By that I mean plane up a piece of 125 x 50 (120 x 45 fin) . Then machine the same radius as the outside of the architraves into the 120 x 45 and then screw it to a flat piece of MDF then clamp that to the bed of the spindle moulder after having run/machined the straight lengths of architrave and raise the cutter block to the height you need and run the curved pieces through the spindle running it on the curved 120x45 sled...............Hope that makes sense. I do have a photo but even though I've been here a few years now I still can't upload piccys...... Flikr link below image 1861 & 1858

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55385455@ ... 688551275/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55385455@ ... ed-public/

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for the reply and sending the pics. Makes sense now ive seen the picture.

Does it not make the profile a bit off if you know what i mean, as when you turn the wood, face on it will distort abit ?

P.S - Those curved sashes in your pictures look amazing. Do you get curved glass too ?

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Ive just zoomed in on the pic...its straight glass. But then how do you get the rebate square on a curved glazing bar ! The mind bogles !

Ill let you know how I get on with the curved moulding, Ill give it a try

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 pm

rhrwilliams wrote:Thanks for the reply and sending the pics. Makes sense now ive seen the picture.

Does it not make the profile a bit off if you know what i mean, as when you turn the wood, face on it will distort abit ?

P.S - Those curved sashes in your pictures look amazing. Do you get curved glass too ?

If you look at one of the pix you can just see a vertical pencil line and this is the contact point with the spindle cutter, its the same with a ring fence where you keep the contact point of the ring in contact with the timber as you push it through. The pencil line on the sled is really only there for when you first set it up so once you have it in line with the cutter you know the moulding will be consistant in profile.

Thanks for the compliment re curved boxframes. This one the customer didn't want to go to the expense of curved glass so I kept the rebates set for flat galzing.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Ive bought some blanks so ill grind some next week and let you know how I get on.

Bloody client. You should have told them they had to pay for curved glass ! Only joking

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Good luck and take some piccys , at least you can upload them.. Curved glass would have made it a damn sight easier for me ..lol

Return to “Woodworking”