do i build 10mm extra all round ?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
stevie james

do i build 10mm extra all round ?

Postby stevie james » Sat May 05, 2018 4:50 pm

i am now trying a different way to build the letters as i failed miserably last attempt the object i am building requires a outer case and a solid interior but still have to work to the measurements i have thought of cutting out what i need to build round i think then i will router out 5mm on all sides and place them around the solid part so do i cut. the inner 10mm longer all the way round so that i maintain the measurements i have attached a pic to give a better understanding of what i am trying to do ...the inner board is the solid interior with the lights attached
Attachments
love lights.jpg

promhandicam

Re: do i build 10mm extra all round ?

Postby promhandicam » Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Not being funny, but I've read your post 3 or 4 times and still don't understand what you want help with. If you are trying to recreate the letters shown in your picture and want to do it to a specific size, then I can't really see the need to use a router for anything. If I were trying to do it, then I would make the backs fit inside the edges, so they would need to be smaller all round by whatever the thickness is of the material you are using. However you do it, it is going to be a difficult and time consuming job and not one I would personally consider doing unless there was a lot of money in it.

stevie james

Postby stevie james » Wed May 09, 2018 9:03 am

I'm not very good at explaining myself thanks for your reply I will work it out eventually

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 am

Hi Steve, if you are building letters then maybe do the solid inner (base) to the size your letters will finish at but reduce the base by the thickness of the outer material.

For example if your letter is 300mm high and your outer material is 9mm MDF then reduce the height by 18mm so when the outer MDF is pinned and glued on you still end up with a 300mm high letter.

As with the previous suggestion no router is really needed and I would just as already suggested simply cut the letters out of say 18mm MDF making a base, then pin and glue 9mm MDF on the edges to build the box effect.

Return to “Woodworking”