Internal doors - which supplier?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Roger-M
Subscriber

Internal doors - which supplier?

Postby Roger-M » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm

I have 14 internal doors to replace, probably with something like this. I could make my own, but 14 of them? I'd lose the will to live, and I don't think I'd save much. Howdens refuse to take the order because I'm not trade! Are there any suppliers you prefer? Any that you would stay clear of? As usual, I'm aiming to buy at the elbow of the price/quality curve!
Cheers, Roger

promhandicam

Re: Internal doors - which supplier?

Postby promhandicam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm

There's a way round it with howdens, so if you want me to get a price from them I'd be happy to get one if you pm me the sizes.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks Steve. That's very kind of you. I will have a look in Howden's to see if the reality matches what I see on their website and if they still refuse to deal I'll get back to you by pm.

So is it the general view that the Howdens offering is as good as any?
Cheers, Roger

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 am

Howdens are not easy to deal with. The prices that they quote as retail are nothing like the trade price. Having said that they quote one price to one trade customer say 25% off and a better price to another say 40% off. I would take up promhandicam's offer, let him get a price for you.
Alan

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Looked at Howdens doors and they are unsuitable. Lipping is only 10mm all round, and I need to be able to trim 10mm off both top and bottom on some doors. Currently looking at these from Deanta Doors which have 18 mm lipping all around, and these for the glazed doors which also have a 20mm lipping.
Cheers, Roger

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for the helpful comments guys, and particularly to Steve for the Howdens offer. However looks like we are going to go for Deanta doors Ely for the solid ones, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed. These have a solid engineered construction, and 18mm lippings all round so plenty of allowance for trimming. They advertise that you can take up to 32mm off both height and width, which should be enough for anyone.
Cheers, Roger

johnfarris

Postby johnfarris » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Roger-M wrote:Thanks for the helpful comments guys, and particularly to Steve for the Howdens offer. However looks like we are going to go for Deanta doors Ely for the solid ones, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed. These have a solid engineered construction, and 18mm lippings all round so plenty of allowance for trimming. They advertise that you can take up to 32mm off both height and width, which should be enough for anyone.

Hello Rodger could you tell me how you got on with these doors as I am after some myself?

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Sure John. They arrive Friday so will start fitting next week. I'll give my judgement, warts 'n all.
Cheers, Roger

johnfarris

Postby johnfarris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Roger-M wrote:Sure John. They arrive Friday so will start fitting next week. I'll give my judgement, warts 'n all.

How did you get on Rodger warts 'n all?

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Give us a chance! Only arrived Friday and hinges/locks/handles don't arrive til tomorrow. You want stuff done even quicker than my missus! :lol: Looking good on the floor of the lounge and dining room at the moment tho'. :D

Cheers, Roger

Roger-M
Subscriber

Re: Internal doors - which supplier? ***Deanta Doors***

Postby Roger-M » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 pm

10 doors hung and 5 to go. So far I'm very happy with them. Construction is a chipboard core with a 35mm lip on each side and top and bottom, leaving plenty of room for trimming to size. The veneers are mainly book matched which is a nice touch, and the thickness of the lipping means that there is always plenty of "real wood" to screw into for hinge attachment etc. The grooves between the veneered panels are cut into solid oak strips set in to the core, so there is no hint of a composite material on the outside of the door. I've lightly cleaned up each one with my ROS, degreased with a wipe of meths and then given 2 coats of Osmo door oil. Total cost is £150 per door including all door furniture and 3 ball bearing hinges per door.

This is the first time I've fitted composite doors so I have nothing to compare them with, but I would use again. Deanta Doors Ely for the solid doors, and Deanta Kerry for the glazed ones, bought through"Doors of Distinction" in Sidmouth, who undercut their own website prices.
Cheers, Roger

Return to “Woodworking”