Resinous unsorted

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Resinous unsorted

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 pm

I bought 2 cu of unsorted redwood recently. 9 x 2.

First question is that quite a few boards have shakes in.... the images you see are from me ripping down a 9 x 2 . Jas has given me some excellent steers but just wondered what you guys thought.

same shake that you can see in the above photo

I was aiming to get two 100 x 45mm out of each plank.

Also you may have heard the profanities this afternoon even living wherever you are. Some of the wood is bloody sticky and I found that I was having to really apply all my weight to force it through ...even cutting 0.5mm. The table has had Liberon on it....it was the rollers refusing to grip and/or the first roller had parts gummed up from other pieces. Thing is the machine is new to me (Hammer C3-31) and so I don't really know what to expect. I never had this sort of problem with my beloved Sedgwick MB but then again I always tended to work in hardwood.

TIA
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: Resinous unsorted

Postby Leveller2911 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 pm

You'll often get shakes in stock over 1 1/2" if its cut through and through so you have the centre of the tree with the pith. The downside is you tend to get shakes but the plus side is on through and through near the centre of the tree you tend to get leas distortion/cupping. With 225mm/9" wide boards if you are making window frames or door stiles (finishing 94mm) you can often cut the centre (near the pith) out and machine up shake free sections.

Personally I don't use Redwood pine and haven't done in over 10yrs because in my opinion we only get unsorted and 5ths in this country which at best the quality is variable and at worse its dire.. Then we also have better timbers out there for durablility and stability which don't cost that much more .. With regards to resin and machine beds, we use either silicone spray or white spirit from a spray bottle .......

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 pm

I go down my local timber supplier and sift through the PAR racks grab the clearest as i can get then face laminate it, that is when i do use pine for joinery which is n't often.

johnfarris

Postby johnfarris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Leveller2911 wrote:You'll often get shakes in stock over 1 1/2" if its cut through and through so you have the centre of the tree with the pith. The downside is you tend to get shakes but the plus side is on through and through near the centre of the tree you tend to get leas distortion/cupping. With 225mm/9" wide boards if you are making window frames or door stiles (finishing 94mm) you can often cut the centre (near the pith) out and machine up shake free sections.

Personally I don't use Redwood pine and haven't done in over 10yrs because in my opinion we only get unsorted and 5ths in this country which at best the quality is variable and at worse its dire.. Then we also have better timbers out there for durablility and stability which don't cost that much more .. With regards to resin and machine beds, we use either silicone spray or white spirit from a spray bottle .......

Doesn't seem to matter what thickness of unsorted I am going sorting through its all full of checking. What better timbers are you using instead of redwood?

I was wondering if the way forward was to cut out the defects and rejoin for rails in door and gates is this common practise anyway?

Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby Andys Woodshed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 pm

johnfarris wrote:Doesn't seem to matter what thickness of unsorted I am going sorting through its all full of checking. What better timbers are you using instead of redwood?

For exterior doors and windows I mainly use Sapele and also use Douglas Fir. Occasionally I use Idigbo too but not that often and I've yet to use Accoya but hear good reports but its ridiculously expensive sountil they bring the prices down to a realistic rate I won't be buying it ........There is no reason other than having a monopoly why Accoya should be so prohibitively expensive as its only a cheap pine after all.

I was wondering if the way forward was to cut out the defects and rejoin for rails in door and gates is this common practise anyway?

My thoughts are time is money so spending time cutting out shakes etc and the joining back together takes time and time is money. Also I think you need to consider will the "laminated" sections hold up long term. You can buy timber already laminated up into useful section sizes to minimise waste. Think Lathams do laminated softwood and hardwood (Woodex?).........

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Shakes can be a problem with 9" (225mm) boards but you can get clean boards too. I had a chat with a timber yard worker who said they often send wide board with shakes in to the local school as they can still use them for project work. He also said it depends upon who you are dealing with at the yard as they try to store board with shakes in separate stacks if possible and know where they are. It's a matter of ask first and reject boards with shakes if possible.

I won't accept boards with shakes in as 1. it's a defect that will be rejected by a customer 2. I often can't use them so it's not worth paying for them.

it's best to go to a timber yard sort the wood you want into a pile and get that pile delivered.

I'd be ringing the timber yard and send it back, if they can't supply timber without shakes then either go to another yard or used another timber that they can supply reject free. I think it is worth paying a bit more for reject free timber as it saves a lot of time and wasted timber is wasted money.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Meccarroll wrote:.....
it's best to go to a timber yard sort the wood you want into a pile and get that pile delivered.

I'll certainly do that next time.

Meccarroll wrote:I'd be ringing the timber yard and send it back, if they can't supply timber without shakes then either go to another yard

You do now where I live, don't you ? I'm lucky to have one timber yard less than an hours drive away !
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:You do now where I live, don't you ?

In the cold, bleak, remote, north, somewhere LoL.

I used to accept timber like you have Roger but when I converted it, I found the shakes often went too far into the wood and could't use it so I now sort my own out at the timber yard. I only do a small amount of joinery work now so it's practical for me to do it that way. If you are doing this type of work commercially then it's is far more viable to pay a bit more for stable timber.

I think the main advantage in using redwood is it's relatively easy to obtain and it's cheap.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Meccarroll wrote:
thatsnotafestool wrote:You do now where I live, don't you ?

....... is it's relatively easy to obtain and it's cheap.

You can say that again. Up here I got 2 cu m for under £800 (inc VAT).
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Woodworking”