Broken chair

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
jackpomroy

Broken chair

Postby jackpomroy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi everyone - id really appreciate some help on fixing a few cracks I have in a dining room chair.
I’ve attached the picture below - is it just a case of getting wood dust and superglue then clamping it together tight?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Jack

promhandicam

Re: Broken chair

Postby promhandicam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. unfortunately you have to make a couple of posts before being able to include a photo to avoid the forum getting spammed.

Without seeing the problem, I can tell you that superglue and wood dust won't work unless you want to create something like sandpaper. If a joint has failed you could try a product called chair doctor glue. if it is non structural cracks that you want to fill then a wax filler stick would probably be best.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:51 pm

jackpomroy wrote:Hi everyone - id really appreciate some help on fixing a few cracks I have in a dining room chair.
I’ve attached the picture below - is it just a case of getting wood dust and superglue then clamping it together tight?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack, CASCAMITE is a very good wood glue for furniture, in my opinion. Very strong once set and ideal for small joints.
And welcome to the forum.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm

But wouldn't it depend on where the cracks are ? If in new wood then I can see Cascamite working a treat but if it's a glued joint come apart then not sure Cascamite will stick on a sealed surface. If that is the case, epoxy ?

Welcome to the forum, Jack.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:But wouldn't it depend on where the cracks are ? If in new wood then I can see Cascamite working a treat but if it's a glued joint come apart then not sure Cascamite will stick on a sealed surface. If that is the case, epoxy ?

Welcome to the forum, Jack.

Yes that might be a good point to consider. Jack.

sutrisno

Postby sutrisno » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 am

Meccarroll wrote:
jackpomroy wrote:Hi everyone - id really appreciate some help on fixing a few cracks I have in a dining room chair.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack, CASCAMITE is a very good wood glue for furniture, in my opinion. Very strong once set and ideal for small joints.

i never heard of cascamite, is it pricey?
i am looking for a good wood glue for my furniture but it can't be expensive.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 pm

sutrisno wrote:
Meccarroll wrote:
Any help would be great
Thanks
Jack

i never heard of cascamite, is it pricey?
i am looking for a good wood glue for my furniture but it can't be expensive.

Try typing 'Cascamite' into Google - (other search engines are available) :roll: :roll:

Return to “Woodworking”