Thickness of door panel

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Thickness of door panel

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi guys

I've got 12 of these to make for inside our house. Height approx 2m and width approx 880mm. Door 44mm thick. I'll be going with custom ovolo cutters so I can do them the stiles and rails in one pass (plus one more pass for the groove for the panel).

I can't decide between 9mm or 12mm MDF. I'm leaning toward 12mm ?

Since the cut edges are concealed in the grooves, no need for Medite ?
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

promhandicam

Re: Thickness of door panel

Postby promhandicam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 pm

What are the rails and stiles going to be made from as a veneered board would match the grain even painted. Personally I won't buy or use anything other than moisture resistant mdf if you dont want a veneered board. As to thickness probably 12mm.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 am

That's a very good point,Steve. Unsorted redwood. So veneered board probably best in that case, do you think ? Mind you, unsorted does plane up nice !
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm with Steve and never use anything other than moisture resistant MDF for internal work.

With regards to panel thickness it really depends on what Ovolo you are using and if you are moulding one or both sides of the door. If moulding one side only then I would say 12mm too.. Incidentally I personally wouldn't entertain using Redwood pine if they are to be painted as you can't be sure the doors won't twist,warp,split,knots bleed etc. If the house has central/underfloor heating making doors in pine is asking for trouble.

The only use for Redwood pine is on the woodburner but I accept its a nice smell....

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Leveller2911 wrote:I'm with Steve and never use anything other than moisture resistant MDF for internal work.

With regards to panel thickness it really depends on what Ovolo you are using and if you are moulding one or both sides of the door. If moulding one side only then I would say 12mm too.. Incidentally I personally wouldn't entertain using Redwood pine if they are to be painted as you can't be sure the doors won't twist,warp,split,knots bleed etc. If the house has central/underfloor heating making doors in pine is asking for trouble.

The only use for Redwood pine is on the woodburner but I accept its a nice smell....

Oh bollox....LOL....I've lost the plot completely. You've reminded me that I asked about tulipwood etc about a year back. Way, way too much on my mind which is why I've got a cube sitting in the workshop of unsorted. :oops:

It will be moulded on both sides. I'm getting a custom set of cutters and scribes so I can do both moulds in one go.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Roger,

I do remember you asking about timber for internal doors a while back. Personally I think 44mm is quite thick for an internal door but if that's what you want, go for it. Moisture resistant MDF is more stable than ordinary MDF and should retain a constant thickness better in fluctuating weather conditions like we are having at the moment. It is when you fit the MDF panel in the groove that Moisture resistant MDF really helps as it should slide in with no problem but standard MDF can swell slightly making it almost impossible at the assembly stage to fit things together. For an internal door I'd be thinking the same as the other chap's do and use a 12mm panel as a minimum.

Mark

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanks, guys...really appreciate the input.

The 44mm is what the original doors were.

I'm still wondering about what type of panel to use if I'm using unsorted 'twisty ;)' redwood. Veneered ply or MRMDF. Going the MR route is a no-brainer if you guys recommend it.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Woodworking”