Spreadsheets for pricing?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Oakfield
Subscriber

Spreadsheets for pricing?

Postby Oakfield » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Does anyone here create spreadsheets to work out pricing automatically?
I have tried it for kitchens but I haven’t got it quite right yet although it’s still fairly useful.

I may have quite a bit of work in the future making replacement casements and sashes for a local company. It’s not something I have done a lot of in the past so I don’t have a very accurate idea of how long it should be taking me yet. I think they would appreciate it if I could give them an estimated cost based on m2 or some other more complex calculations to use. I am thinking of writing a spreadsheet for this.
Does anyone have any pointers or advise that may help me or stop me wasting a lot of time?!

Thanks

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: Spreadsheets for pricing?

Postby 9fingers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm

As much as your customers might like to be able to work out your price without asking you it means you have no wriggle room either when you need to manage demand or when your raw material costs change.
So by all means use a spread sheet for your own purposes but I'd never give access to customers if I were you.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Making bespoke items means that by the nature of the work that prices will vary.

1. Mouldings: No mouldings, off the shelf mouldings or to a specific customer requirement?
2. Timber: Hardwood, softwood, etc.
3. Treated with preservative, dip treated, vac vac treated, no treatment.
4. Sliding sash with spirals, iron weights or led weights.
5. Just Primed, left for customer, powder coated. complete finished etc.
6. Delivery, no delivery, pick up etc.
7. Provision for Single or double glazed. Supplied fitted or unglazed.
8 Type of furniture, Brass, chrome, stainless steel etc.
9. trickle vents, locks, child stay, draft proofing etc.

With bespoke work there is quite a lot of variety and it's not going to be easy to cater for every eventuality on a price list. How long each job takes may well depend upon the machinery and tooling available, space to work in and experience of the construction techniques needed to make the item. Sometimes changing the hinges from storm proof to friction hinges, and changing a Casement stay for Shoot-bolt Style Espagnolette Lock Bolts can make a big difference to production times.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Great question.

Most items have industry rates.

So for instance a standard bar is normally worked out on 1000 per metre the back fitting 800 a metre.

If they want a copper worktop I will add this on as an extra over and likewise with other things such as raised and field panels.

I am pretty certain you could do this for your sash windows.

Basic m/2 rate plus your extra overs - there will be an industry standard somewhere.

Pretty easy with a spreadsheet if you ask me.

I use a couple of spreadsheets for what we do and we don’t go far wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Oakfield
Subscriber

Postby Oakfield » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.

9fingers wrote:As much as your customers might like to be able to work out your price without asking you it means you have no wriggle room either when you need to manage demand or when your raw material costs change.
So by all means use a spread sheet for your own purposes but I'd never give access to customers if I were you.
Bob

I wasn't really thinking of giving them access to the spreadsheet, but more to help me make a quick estimate for them to base their pricing on.
I guess pricing things up is the worst part of being a one man band for me, so if I can make it quicker, easier, more consistent I would be happy!

mark270981 wrote:Great question.

So for instance a standard bar is normally worked out on 1000 per metre the back fitting 800 a metre.

If they want a copper worktop I will add this on as an extra over and likewise with other things such as raised and field panels.

Basic m/2 rate plus your extra overs - there will be an industry standard somewhere.

Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not being completely daft!

Meccarroll wrote:Making bespoke items means that by the nature of the work that prices will vary.

1. Mouldings: No mouldings, off the shelf mouldings or to a specific customer requirement?

With bespoke work there is quite a lot of variety and it's not going to be easy to cater for every eventuality on a price list. How long each job takes may well depend upon the machinery and tooling available, space to work in and experience of the construction techniques needed to make the item. Sometimes changing the hinges from storm proof to friction hinges, and changing a Casement stay for Shoot-bolt Style Espagnolette Lock Bolts can make a big difference to production times.

I do apreciate what you are saying, but also that's exactly where a spreadsheet could come in handy i.e
You input your £M2 for various timber that you use (updated only when prices change)
a tick box to select what material you will be using
select casement, top sash, bottom sash etc and have your basic labour cost set eg £80, £100, £120
enter the sizes - eg 700h x 500w - it will know you need 2.1m of 2x2 0.6m of 3x2 @ £600 M2 and work out material cost
another tick box for treatment and automatically add £10
another tick box to select unfinished, primed, painted and automatically add £0, £10, £20
horns yes/no automatically add 200mm to material cost and £15 to labour
vertical glazing bars 0,1,2 automatically add material cost and £15 to labour
horizontal glazing bars 0, 1, 2 automatically add material cost and £15 to labour
unglazed/glazed/toughened etc automatically add glass cost plus £5 to labour
etc etc
and a final box at the bottom for profit/discount, which can be adjusted to suit the customer/job

I may be making things more complex than I need too and it's irrelevant at the moment because I haven't done enough to know accurate timings (and therefore costs) that different aspects should be taking me

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm

Oakfield wrote:Thanks for the replies.

9fingers wrote:As much as your customers might like to be able to work out your price without asking you it means you have no wriggle room either when you need to manage demand or when your raw material costs change.
Bob

I wasn't really thinking of giving them access to the spreadsheet, but more to help me make a quick estimate for them to base their pricing on.
I guess pricing things up is the worst part of being a one man band for me, so if I can make it quicker, easier, more consistent I would be happy!

mark270981 wrote:Great question.

Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not being completely daft!

Meccarroll wrote:Making bespoke items means that by the nature of the work that prices will vary.

I do apreciate what you are saying, but also that's exactly where a spreadsheet could come in handy i.e
You input your £M2 for various timber that you use (updated only when prices change)
a tick box to select what material you will be using
select casement, top sash, bottom sash etc and have your basic labour cost set eg £80, £100, £120
enter the sizes - eg 700h x 500w - it will know you need 2.1m of 2x2 0.6m of 3x2 @ £600 M2 and work out material cost
another tick box for treatment and automatically add £10
another tick box to select unfinished, primed, painted and automatically add £0, £10, £20
horns yes/no automatically add 200mm to material cost and £15 to labour
vertical glazing bars 0,1,2 automatically add material cost and £15 to labour
horizontal glazing bars 0, 1, 2 automatically add material cost and £15 to labour
unglazed/glazed/toughened etc automatically add glass cost plus £5 to labour
etc etc
and a final box at the bottom for profit/discount, which can be adjusted to suit the customer/job

I may be making things more complex than I need too and it's irrelevant at the moment because I haven't done enough to know accurate timings (and therefore costs) that different aspects should be taking me

Quote: Mark Numbers "There will be an industry standard somewhere" just keep asking and someone will point you to them.

Oakfield
Subscriber

Postby Oakfield » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Meccarroll wrote:Quote: Mark Numbers "There will be an industry standard somewhere" just keep asking and someone will point you to them.

Ok. Please can someone point me to them?! Thanks!

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Spons will be a good start!

I used this at uni - although I have to admit I flunked out within the first year!

An expensive book but will cover most industry standards
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Return to “Woodworking”