Joining wardrobe carcass together

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
The Bear

Joining wardrobe carcass together

Post by The Bear » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 am

Morning
I'm an amateur but wondered how you pros who make custom wardrobes and the likes assemble the carcasses. Im making them from Egger Winchester Oak MFC. Getting them cut by Cutwrights so I only need to fix together (well I then need to make face frames and doors). 18mm sides, 8mm backs. Do you just screw them together? Any glue (not sure how melamine takes that)? I have a good biscuit joiner and easy access to a domino if needed. Just wondered how you pros fix your custom carcasses together please.

many thanks

mark

will1983

Re: Joining wardrobe carcass together

Post by will1983 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi I am far from an expert but I use biscuits for alignment and pocket holes to hold it all together. I use a bit of glue in the biscuit slots and then glue and nail the back into place. For a 600dp cabinet I use 3 biscuits and 4 pocket holes in each corner.

I prefer the pocket holes to just screwing in through the sides as I feel the screws bite into the face better then the edge of the boards. The biscuits prevent the edges moving when I tighten the screws.

FYI wood glue wont stick to MFC but it will stick to the filling material, hence why I only use glue in the biscuit slots. I use biscuits because I don't own a domino (yet) but I don't think there's any difference in this application.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am

I use Domino's to align the sides with the top and bottom panels and 45mm carcase screws through the sides if into mfc or spax mdf screws into mfmdf. The backs are also held on with carcase screws - 33mm if a thinner back is used. I don't generally glue anything other than where a unit may get wet - vanity unit or sink. FYI, a good PVA will stick to melamine - try it on a couple of off cuts.

The Bear

Post by The Bear » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Thank you to both of your replies. Pocket hole guide is something I don't have.
Looking at Carcass screws online, the usual places (Toolstation etc) don't seem to do carcass screws unless they are called something else? Other less known trade counters online want a fair delivery charge. I have to say they look very much like a plasterboard screw (single course thread, relatively thin shank), would they hold as well as a specific carcass screw?

Mark

furynaturre
Subscriber

Post by furynaturre » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 am

Mark,

Don't over think things, I do very similar to Steve.

Put the top and bottom ON the sides rather than inside the sides. Use 45 or 50mm 3.5mm screws (just fully threaded ones will be fine, the carcass screws are awesome but I never remember to buy them!), with a clearance hole and countersink in the tops and bottoms and proper pilot hole (2.5 or 3mm) into the sides.

Don't use plasterboard screws they are not very strong.

The backs can be set in to a rebate for extra style points and also helps with assembly if you don't have a pair of hands.

James

The Bear

Post by The Bear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:21 pm

James

You got me right, I am an over thinker when it comes to this sort of thing. Thanks for the advise.

Mark

The Bear

Post by The Bear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi
Got another question on this please. Any suggestions on how to fix the individual carcasses to each other and the wall without seeing the fixings?
Cheers
Mark

will1983

Post by will1983 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Screw them together with the screws hidden behind the hinge mounting plates. Remember to clamp the two carcasses tightly before screwing together to avoid gaps or misalignment.

The ones at the back of the carcasses can just be filled with wax stick, covered with the sticky back patches, filled or just left.
I make my carcasses from oak veneered MDF so the back ones are just left exposed, they are never seen that far back into a dark carcass anyway.

As for fixing to the wall I use small angle brackets. Almost all my wardrobes are a main carcass with a separate top box above. I cut a shallow rebate in the top of the main carcass to the thickness of the angle bracket, drill and plug the wall and then screw it down into the top of the main carcass. The top box then gets fitted, flushed up on the front edges and secured with screws down into the main carcass.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 am

The main problem when assembling carcasses is holding them in alignment while fixing them together so if you don't poses a domino or biscuit jointer maybe another method would be to use a dowels and align the dowels using a dowel jig for alignment of the carcasses. Also take a look here https://www.hpponline.co.uk/cat/61/carcass-connectors for various ways to connect and locate your carcasses. Once made you can just screw your boxes together but a more professional fixing would be a Cabinet Connector, which by the way come in a variety of colours to match the carcass, also a bright metal version too which goes with almost any carcass material.

For some cabinets I made a while ago I used Cam and Dowel fixings, Confirmat screws and wood dowels for the carcases and shelving. Using these fixings I could assemble the units in my workshop then reassemble them on site with no concerns about the fixing locations becoming over used, worn or loose. When using screws I sometimes paint plastic screw caps the same colour as the finished cabinet and tap them over the screw head to hide the fixing.

The Bear

Post by The Bear » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Thank you for the further replies, all greatly appreciated and useful info

Mark