Making tongued and grooved joints

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
cheddarman

Making tongued and grooved joints

Post by cheddarman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 pm

I need top make some tongued and grooved joints and am thinking of buying a small table top saw for the purpose.

Dirty Pro Tools™ Table Saw 8” Blade with Sliding Side Extension 240v

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F8WNJ3C? ... pLink/[url]

Someone has said that you "shouldn't" cut grooves with this saw??
Anybody got experience of this saw please? I can't afford to spend a lot on a saw as it will be rarely used.

Cheers

jfc
Administrator

Re: Making tongued and grooved joints

Post by jfc » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:32 pm

You will need to remove the guards and riving knife to do grooves so will be removing all the safety features in place so you dont cut your hands off .
You will need to do that on any saw regardless of price .

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 pm

A table saw is the last piece of machinery that I'd think of using in the workshop to make tongue and grooved boards. How much have you got to make? If only a bit and you have the time do it by hand, a Stanley No 50 Plough plane (or something similar) would do the job. Alternatively you can buy a set of tongue and groove cutters for a router which would need to be mounted in some sort of table with a fence as I wouldn't fancy doing it hand held.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Post by thekarter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 pm

promhandicam wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 pm
A table saw is the last piece of machinery that I'd think of using in the workshop to make tongue and grooved boards. How much have you got to make? If only a bit and you have the time do it by hand, a Stanley No 50 Plough plane (or something similar) would do the job. Alternatively you can buy a set of tongue and groove cutters for a router which would need to be mounted in some sort of table with a fence as I wouldn't fancy doing it hand held.
+1

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:43 pm

As Steve has said, for hobby or light use a router and set of T&G cutters would be the best solution for making T&G boards or joints.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:52 am

Can you not get the wood ready t&g? Alternatively you could find a local joiner who would be willing to machine it for you.
Keith