Borate

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
jfc
Administrator

Borate

Post by jfc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am

No not the fella in the lime mankini but the chemical used to treat dry rot , wet rot and wood worm .
Ive been to look at a job where i suspect i'm going to find dry rot when i remove the windows . I did my apprenticeship with a dry rot company so know what chemicals where used but thought the sale was restricted to licenced companies . I called a few to see if they would do the chemical treatment only but they didnt fill me with much confidence so i had a google . https://www.platinumchemicals.co.uk/pro ... treat-10p
I havnt bought any yet so maybe they will ask for some kind of paperwork to do with chemicals ? Its nasty stuff !
Edit . Ive just called them and asked and they will sell it to a business but only sell it via their website . Diluted versions can be bought on amazon :shock:

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Borate

Post by Meccarroll » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:44 pm

jfc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
No not the fella in the lime mankini but the chemical used to treat dry rot , wet rot and wood worm .
Ive been to look at a job where i suspect i'm going to find dry rot when i remove the windows . I did my apprenticeship with a dry rot company so know what chemicals where used but thought the sale was restricted to licenced companies . I called a few to see if they would do the chemical treatment only but they didnt fill me with much confidence so i had a google . https://www.platinumchemicals.co.uk/pro ... treat-10p
I havnt bought any yet so maybe they will ask for some kind of paperwork to do with chemicals ? Its nasty stuff !
Edit . Ive just called them and asked and they will sell it to a business but only sell it via their website . Diluted versions can be bought on amazon :shock:
Looks like there is quite a lot of data in this link: https://www.echa.europa.eu/documents/10 ... 0aa9a13a80

Not sure I'd really want to be doing the treatment myself.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 am

Its not a chemical to be messed about with thats for sure . Full overalls , respirator , goggles and gloves . This is the water based version , the solvent based one was banned about 25 years ago , if you got that on you it would burn your skin !
Its the stuff you need for rot and wood worm but ideally you want everyone and everything to leave the house for 48 hours .

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:56 pm

Have a look at sovereign chemicals.

Mike Dempsey
Occasional Poster

Post by Mike Dempsey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 pm

I bought some about 6 or 7 years ago NP. I have business premises so thats where it was delivered to. I mill up all sorts of logs with my alaskan chainsaw mill and spray the planks to kill any mould/fungus. Works very well.