Eurocyliner lock

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
mac72

Eurocyliner lock

Post by mac72 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi

I have asked a joiner to fit a eurocylinder lock to a bedroom door. The joiner has asked me to find the correct lock and he will fit it.

I was wondering if someone could advise on the correct type (with 2 face plates).

The door is a 44mm wide fire door. Another bedroom, with same size door, has a 60mm long eurocylinder lock with a turn key on the inside (2 face plates on either side of the door). I would like to find the same kind of lock.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me where I can find the right lock online, with face plate. I have found 60mm eurocylinder locks online but not with face plates. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Mac

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Eurocyliner lock

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sat May 23, 2020 9:47 pm

ironmongerydirect.co.uk ?
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sun May 24, 2020 8:40 am

The length does not fully define a eurocylinder

Two dimensions are needed, one from each end to the actuator for the lock. Also if you want a turn button one one end the asymmetry needs to be stated too.
An potential euro-minefield!
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:47 pm
ironmongerydirect.co.uk ?
As above or screwfix will have them.

There will be a screw (sometimes behind a faceplate fitted to the case) which holds the euro cylinder in place. If there is a faceplate, take the faceplate off then undo the screw and pull out the euro cylinder. You may have to turn the knob slightly to align the cylinder so you can release it from the case. You may also have to take of the cylinder cover too. Use the cylinder to measure the length you require note the dimensions from the acuator.

You will need to decide whether you are using a combined lock latch & handle mechanism, Lock mechanism on it's own or a combination of the two, as you also need a case to fit/hold the cylinder.

Attachments
Cylinder.jpg

mac72

Post by mac72 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone and for taking your time to help me.. Having now learnt of the ins and outs I think I will maybe find a locksmith, who can supply and fit, do do this.

Thanks
Matt

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sun May 24, 2020 3:58 pm

That’s admitting defeat Matt! Lol
Bob
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mac72

Post by mac72 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:52 pm

I know Bob, but I have time constraints (lodger moving in soon). If I have learnt anything over the years, it that a good experienced tradesman is safest bet. I like to do things if I have time but I don't have time this time. Thanks for letting me know how complicated this may be.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 pm

No worries. I’ve been down a similar learning path with a rental property in the past.
Bob

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 am

The euro cylinder only needs to be long enough so it is flush with any door furniture such as cover plates handles etc. It's not too difficult to get right. Perhaps the biggest problem will be matching any cover plates finishes with the existing finish of the handles stc in your house.

Any decent carpenter should be able to do this job. Since the introduction of NVQ style carpentry qualifications a lot of people are gaining their NVQ's on site. Carpenters who gain their NVQ's on site tend to lack the theory which is obtained in the classroom at a college. There can be quite a gap in the knowledge base of an onsite trained V college trained NVQ student. Pick your tradesmen carefully, it's worth paying a bit more for a proper tradesman.

Euro Cylinder 30/30 (44mm door)
Euro.jpg

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon May 25, 2020 6:21 am

These should help. Just check your backseat when ordering.
The backset is the horizontal distance from the edge of a door to the centre of a lockset; thus, the distance a lockset is 'set back' from the edge of a door is called its backset. It's usually around 44mm and 57mm.

Barrel.jpg
Attachments
Esc.jpg
Deadlock case.jpg

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Post by Rogerdodge » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 pm

As a keen student of locks, I would add that some Euro cylinder locks with thumb turns are susceptible to being bypassed with a wire, and consequently do not offer very much security.