Continuous "piano" hinges

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Slamdunk69

Continuous "piano" hinges

Post by Slamdunk69 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi
I'm in the process of bringing our recently purchased narrowboat back to life.
I have question regarding continuous hinges, namely how do I determine what size screws do I need to install a piano hinges as a door hinge.
I appreciate that this isn't the usual type of hinge for this type of job, but we are constrained by the fact that the door is to be mounted onto a veneered MDF "wall" which is only 18mm thick. A piano hinge will help distribute the load and is less likely to pull screws out as a result.

I am wanting to use 16mm 3g or 3.5g solid brass countersunk wood screws.

The thing that concerns me most is the size of the head diameter, too large and when the hinge closes the protruding heads stop the leaves of the hinge becoming parallel to each other (because they aren't offset it's made worse)

How do I determine the correct head diameter to do the job, and moreso how do I specify this dimension when ordering online?

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Continuous "piano" hinges

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm

You could just use a countersink to sink the screw heads into the hinge enough so they don't protrude. Save you bothering about sizing and you can just get on with the job. It is possible to countersink with a metal drill but be very careful the drill bit does not snatch and make the countersink too large. Or take the hinge to your local hardware store and ask them to select the correct screw size for you.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 am

You can get screws with very small heads specifically for piano hinges but I think you would be better off using cranked flush hinges. They are still relatively weak, so you will need to be careful both fitting and using the door, but much better than piano hinges.
Keith

Slamdunk69

Post by Slamdunk69 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:24 am

I'll look into that thank you