Woodworking With Children

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thekarter
Occasional Poster

Woodworking With Children

Post by thekarter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 am

One of my grandsons has reached the age that I was when I went to senior school and started woodwork classes. I was fortunate that the woodwork master was a super chap and a super teacher. This was many years ago probably before electricity was invented so everything was done using hand tools. As my grandson is eleven years old, I don't think that it is save to use power tools other than battery operated screwdrivers. So I plan to teach him in the same way that I was - hand tools only -.
I have looked on Youtube for some ideas and I must say that a more useless bunch of videos it would be hard to find IMHO!
I thought that it would be a good idea for him to do a drawing of what he was going to make. I would have done this on a drawing board, should I teach him how to do that or should I buy a CAD program?
Alan

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Woodworking With Children

Post by davidpidge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Could start on the free version of sketchup and it'd be a good skill for him to have.
Some router work would be ok wouldn't it? Get him set up and do some small round over or groove work. Using a table is pretty safe with feather boards and push sticks.
Learning how spinny sharp things behave is important.

Definitely some hand tool work to start though as you say. Gets you practicing your balance etc.

Maybe his first project needs to be a workbench that suits his height?

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:41 pm

It is possibly important not to have too complex a project to start with or one needing too much design so he does not lose interest.
He will benefit greatly from seeing partial results as he goes along and keep up his enthusiasm.
Possibly you should try an hold back from taking over and let him make some mistakes and use your skill to guide him to recover from them rather than try and prevent them from happening.

Good luck
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Have a look at the Paul Sellers common woodworking. I have been trying to get my kids onto it as it#s a good introduction to tool basics and has some easy projects involved. I would also make them draw something at least once so they can lay out off the drawing and see how it relates to the actual object.