Help me determine this wood grain

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Vintagerenewed

Help me determine this wood grain

Post by Vintagerenewed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi can anyone tell me what this grain of wood is? Initial thought is pine as it’s quite light. I’ve now sanded it and want to treat it so it looks it’s best but not sure where to start! Any tips would be appreciated.
B294C4DA-0DF8-4A6F-800F-5BF518778BB2.jpeg

kazazza

Re: Help me determine this wood grain

Post by kazazza » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Closest thing I know that looks similar is Zebrano

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Post a photo of it sanded. Could be ash or oak but it's been stained so who knows?

TomasG

Post by TomasG » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Ash it looks like to me from that course grain, the handle looks quartersawn or close to hence the straight bandings, compared to somewhat flatsawn drawer front,
it might be QS oak though with some medullary rays, ash can be figured like that too, but it's not as distinct on a larger board, and you won't get any hits when googling to compare, better typing ash handle than figured ash for a better comparison.
Flatsawn ash or oak would be a suitable starting point, stained might be added too to your search.
Ash would be brighter if you really want an ID of it, and if going to remove the stain, do so in an concealed area first, as the stain might be very deep and you won't be able to ID it unless there is cleanly pared end grain somewhere.

Tom

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Definitely not Zebrano.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche