Door Panel

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
MJ80
Subscriber

Door Panel

Post by MJ80 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 pm

I have fielded panel to make for a front door and can't make my mind up which way to orientate it. Its going to be an insulated panel - sapele each side of some celotex, door is a crazy 88mm thick. The panel is a single unit and quite wide I can't make my mind up which way to joint it, with the grain running in line with the stiles or rails. Which way round do you suggest

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Door Panel

Post by Meccarroll » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:14 pm

MJ80 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 pm
I have fielded panel to make for a front door and can't make my mind up which way to orientate it. Its going to be an insulated panel - sapele each side of some celotex, door is a crazy 88mm thick. The panel is a single unit and quite wide I can't make my mind up which way to joint it, with the grain running in line with the stiles or rails. Which way round do you suggest
Stiles, is the only way.

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks Mark,
I'm going to break the panels into three parts, I'm really worried about cracking. I have been over thinking this for far too long. The difference in temperature ranges in the summer to the winter here can be quite extreme. In summer it has the lunch and afternoon sun, which can be utterly brutal in summer, and in the winter the internal to external temperature can be about 40 degrees.
I have noticed here they all v groove the joints between the rails and stiles on doors and windows. I really am struggling to see the logic why you would want to do this especially if you have ant sort of moulding on the door.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 am

MJ80 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Thanks Mark,
I'm going to break the panels into three parts, I'm really worried about cracking. I have been over thinking this for far too long. The difference in temperature ranges in the summer to the winter here can be quite extreme. In summer it has the lunch and afternoon sun, which can be utterly brutal in summer, and in the winter the internal to external temperature can be about 40 degrees.
I have noticed here they all v groove the joints between the rails and stiles on doors and windows. I really am struggling to see the logic why you would want to do this especially if you have ant sort of moulding on the door.
Hi again,

Regarding thee temperature difference:

If you have an insulated panel which has is made up as a sandwich of say, sapele internal face, insulation middle and sapele external face, then you will be creating a gradient drop in temperature between the internal surface and external surface. The more insulation the slower the temperature drops due to the insulation, so by the time the heat energy reaches the outside sapele layer the temperature difference is far less.

The V joint is now becoming common in some window tooling in the Uk. If you have a V joint between joints then you do not have to clean up the surfaces to match it also gives a break joint so if there is some slight movement you will not see a crack at the joint.

Where are you MJ80 Germany or France?

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:42 am

I'm in the middle of Germany.

This is a bit out of my comfort zone and I have been overthinking it and avoiding it for far far too long. Plus they do some things differently here and it keeps throwing me, I find it hard to follow the logic sometimes.