Where to purchase material for box making?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
viper123

Where to purchase material for box making?

Post by viper123 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am

Howdy, first-time post here so expressions of remorse ahead of time if this is a stupid inquiry.

I'm experiencing difficulty discovering someplace I can purchase wood for box making. No place appears to sell flimsy (under a large portion of an inch) lengths of uniform pleasantly completed wood (either pine or hardwood). I don't have an electric planer and am generally reliant available apparatuses. Any meagre pieces I do discover will, in general, be low quality and are distorted. So far been glancing in manufacturers yards, lumber yards and wood reusing focuses. I'm situated in Derby and truly battling to discover great quality material to work with.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Re: Where to purchase material for box making?

Post by thekarter » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 pm

A local joinery works would probably run up some wood for you. I had to make some presentation boxes for Jewelled Steering Wheels a while ago. They were 60mm deep and 350mm square. I made the sides of beech and the top and bottom of mahogany faced ply recessed into the sides. That gave a nice contrast between the woods.
How many boxes do you have to make?
Alan

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Re: Where to purchase material for box making?

Post by thekarter » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm

box 1.JPG