How do i do this ?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
dvddvd

How do i do this ?

Post by dvddvd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 pm

hi all..

I have some 15mm dowel and want to drill some 5 mm holes through the side all the way through, then want to counter sink the holes with a 8mm hole 10mm depth.

It will end up looking like a flute with holes along the length.

The trouble i have is (I have a bench drill) i have made a v shaped holder for the piece of dowel is getting the hole started dead on the centre of the length, if your a 1mm out it does not pass through the centre and everything is off set ?

Would love to make a fail safe jig where i can easily and quickly drill the 8 holes along the length and them been perfect, i have lots and lots to do so would spend time making the perfect jig.

Is it best to countersink with large 8mm bit then go all the way through with smaller or visa versa and what sort of bits ? I used normal hss and it chewed all the wood up ..any ideas or clues welcomed x

I even thought of making a metal jig with holes drilled in and using either hinge bit so that is centred ot using a bit with a countersunk all in one so you only have to drill once ? thats if you can get a 5mm and 8mm in one bit ? thanks

dvddvd

Re: How do i do this ?

Post by dvddvd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 pm

was thinking could i use a piece of copper pipe or something ? something where the holes are marked on and drilled and i just slide the dowel in drill and remove and no marking to be done ?

jrm
Subscriber

Post by jrm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 am

Hello and welcome. I would make up a cradle (something like the 'planing' cradle on this page http://sawdustmaking.com/woodjoints/doweljoint.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) with some means of clamping the dowel in position. With an accurately set fence on the drill press table, you can just slide it along to the next position. Personally, I would use an 8mm forstner type bit for the counterbore. This will leave a nice flat bottom and clean sides and, very helpfully, a dimple in the centre to locate your 5mm drill. I would make a jig to mark the holes to avoid having to keep measuring, maybe hinged to the top of the cradle so it can be swung into and out of position quickly.

John

hammertime
Subscriber

Post by hammertime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 am

Im wondering if a bradpoint bit would help ?

Sent from my GT-I9300

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 pm

One of these might help by doing it all in one pass

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/drill ... tep-drills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

cncpaul
Subscriber

Post by cncpaul » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Make a V holder as John has said, then set a fence on the pillar drill, drill the 5mm holes all the way through the
holder into the wood sub base on the pillar drill. you can then put a broken 5mm drill or a 5mm shelf peg into the sub base
sticking up around 6mm, then place your dowel in the V holder, drop the V holder onto the peg in the sub base and
then drill your dowel, each hole will be in exactly the same position without having to mark each one. change over to the 8mm
forstner and drill the countersink
Paul

If you only have a hammer then everything looks like a nail

dvddvd

Post by dvddvd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

hi thanks good idea...

i made the fence on the pillar drill and made the v cradle i thought i could mark onto the fence and the cradle where the holes want to be,and just move the cradle to the mark on the fence for each hole.

only problem i had was clamping the piece in the cradle sometimes when you lifted up after a hole had been drilled, it lifted up the the piece of dowel.

i could not think of a way to clamp it, g clamps were a bit in the way all the time, then i saw some 15mm plastic pipe brackets from my central heating, so i screwed 2 to a piece of wood and the dowel just clips in, its quiet a snug fit, drill holes and then unclip it, going to have a go tomorrow again,......

any other ideas ?

stevep
Subscriber

Post by stevep » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:21 am

dvddvd wrote: any other ideas ?
Yes. Use Paul's peg idea to get all the holes neatly spaced and lined up. And use a fast speed to get a clean cut ( even with a twist drill you should be able to cut cleanly, though a proper wood- type drill will obviously be better if you have one).
http://www.newlandstech.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrm
Subscriber

Post by jrm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 am

I think you will find, with Paul's refinement, you won't need to clamp it. Also, try 'peck' drilling to clear the waste and stop it grabbing as much.

John

dvddvd

Post by dvddvd » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks i forgot to say the holes are not evenly spaced each one is a slightly different spacing thanks