Fixing sashes

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
senior
Subscriber

Fixing sashes

Post by senior » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:13 pm

How do you all fix your sashes in place.
The brickies have left a 100mm rebate, the window will overlap by 75mm.
do you strap them onto the internal wall face or back of the external wall, or some other way?
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

furynaturre
Subscriber

Re: Fixing sashes

Post by furynaturre » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:41 pm

Bob,

We used to strap them to the internal wall after wedging level and plumb etc etc, use the heavy duty perforated metal strapping and angle it a bit on the side of the sash to best counteract any weight.

Not sure this is still the preferred method what with air tightness tests and the like.

Build is looking truly great by the way, keep it up

James

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 am

I presume your talking sliding sashes?
if so like James said. What we used to do is prior to fitting make sure weight boxes are sealed.
When in place and everything is sliding nice, fill gap between brickwork and the box with expanding foam.

Jonathan

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Strap and foam here also.

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 am

Ditto strap and foam

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52 am

So where do you put the straps, the internal face of the window will be inset about 20mm from the face of the internal wall
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

furynaturre
Subscriber

Post by furynaturre » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:07 am

Bob,

If you only have 20mm on the window reveal to the inside face of the wall from the back of the sash you'll just have to get really good at bending the straps round the corner so they are on the face of the wall. I take it this means you've got a pucker brick/block nibby thingy to replicate the space for sash box, (outside opening narrow than internal). Traditional folding wedges will help too then, I hope!

James

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 am

Straps are very neat and I've used them but they are a bugger for the poor sod who has to go back and replace the window at some point in the future when you can end up damaging the internal reveal getting them out. For replacement windows I fix them in the glazing rebate using the window fixings designed for UPVC windows as they don't pull up the same as a normal frame fixers and so don't tend to pull the frame out of square. There is a problem if the window sits back in the reveal so that where you want to fix the frame aligns with the external brick/ internal wall junction as apart from not getting a good fixing you can damage the vertical damp proof membrane when drilling. For my own house, an old barn conversion, where its sometimes impossible to get any sort of fixing, I just temporarily wedge the frame in position then foam it in, solid as a rock once the foam sets.

Just seen this is for sliding sashes so this may not apply as I've never fitted a sliding sash.
Keith

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 am

senior wrote:So where do you put the straps, the internal face of the window will be inset about 20mm from the face of the internal wall
I used to repair a lot of sliding sash windows, traditionally the cill would have horns mortared into the brickwork, the head was held by a piece of timber which ran through the width between the inner and outer stiles and heads at the top of the window. The Sash Box, would (traditionally) be set about 15mm off the internal face of the outer leaf (leave a gap between the outer block and Sash Box) then pointed with mortar. It looks like your house will be rendered so no pointing in your case.

Now a lot of builders just use expanding foam (no straps) but if you want to use mechanical fixings too, then try using a galvanised L shaped bracket. Fix one part of it to the back of the box frame with screws (into the stiles) the other to the internal face of the inner leaf. Set the bracket 20mm beyond the Sash Box to account for the stepped reveal.

You can fix the Box however you want really, but try to avoid anything that will cause cold bridging between the window and and wall structure.

I'd recommend considering installing insulation between the box and outer leaf to reduce the effect of cold bridging.

Hope I have been of some help :)

Mark

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 pm

If you do use folding wedges then make sure you don't overdo it otherwise you can distort the box making the windows bind as they are opened. DAMHIKT .
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche