Where do I buy a "Leigh Jig Guide Bush"

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Where do I buy a "Leigh Jig Guide Bush"

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:21 am

Recently purchase a Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig from a member on here and very pleased with it. Before I can start using it I need to buy an adapter and guide bush to fit my Hitachi M12V router. The parts I need are: Leigh Adapter 703 and Leigh guide bush 711.

I have searched the net and can only find Axminster tool who can supply the parts, only problem is they don't have the parts in stock for another three weeks. Does anyone know of another UK site that may have them in stock so I can be up and running sooner than later.

Many thanks in advance, Mark

Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Re: Where do I buy a "Leigh Jig Guide Bush"

Postby Andys Woodshed » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:38 am

Give http://www.toolite.org.uk a ring
They my be able to help
Although not listed they have a vast amount of stock not on their web site

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:19 am

I think Axminster have just become the sole distributor for Leigh in the UK so it's a bit poor if they don't have a basic part like a guide bush. You could try contacting Leigh directly but postage may be prohibitive. Otherwise treat yourself to a new router :D
Keith

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:24 am

woodsmith wrote: Otherwise treat yourself to a new router :D

LoL :lol:

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:31 am

Would a Trend Unibase work for the time being till the part came in or a similar unibase.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:51 pm

siafins wrote:Would a Trend Unibase work for the time being till the part came in or a similar unibase.

(1) Leigh seem to work on 8mm router bit shank sizes, this means you need an 8mm collet for their router bits.
(2) The router bit is guided along the Leigh Jig by a leigh 11.1mm Guide Bush (711TP) which in turn has to fit into the base of the router in question.
(3) My Hitachi router requires a 703 adapter for the guide bush to fit to the router base.

(1). I have ordered a 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer for £9.19 from LAWSON HIS Ltd and hope to receive it next week.
(2). I could do to source one of these (711TP) as the one I got with the jig is a bit naff. Nice Jig though :D
(3). I know D&M Tools have these in stock so I just need to order one £17.81 including vat and delivery. I don't seem to be able to complete the transaction by internet so I'll order one by phone Monday :(

If anyone can help with (2) above for the Leigh jig I'd appreciate it. Just need to know where I can get hold of one that is in stock.

I will look at the trend system as maybe they have a solution to cut out (2) and (3) above. Many thank's for the suggestion.

Mark

PS many thanks for all other suggestions, I have followed them up.

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Postby Rogerdodge » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:53 pm

I have a Trend Unibase which you are welcome to try out with your Hitachi. I believe I am very close to you. ( K'land.)

Rog

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Rogerdodge wrote:I have a Trend Unibase which you are welcome to try out with your Hitachi. I believe I am very close to you. ( K'land.)

Rog

K'Land is just up the road about 10 minutes............ small world.

Cheers that's very kind of you, I'm going to take a look to see if I can fit the adapter I got with the Jig to any of my other routers (probably not). I'll PM you later if that's ok.

Mark

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Postby Rogerdodge » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:44 pm

That will be fine , Mark. I shall be about.

Rog

Bighat
Occasional Poster

Postby Bighat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 pm

Don't bother withe the Leigh specific guide Bush, just order a 7/16 guide bush from wealden tools, they are the same. If you have standard dewalt/elu spacing on your router you won't even need an adaptor, though I'm not sure what Hitachi use. Plus wealden will get it to you next day.

Neil_C
Subscriber

Postby Neil_C » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Mark,

You have a pm.
Cheers,

Neil

Neil_C
Subscriber

Postby Neil_C » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Mark, you have another pm.
Cheers,

Neil

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:15 am

After listening to some of the replies to this thread and about unibases, I started to think about solutions. So just as a temporary measure, and to try to get around the problem, I have used a couple of forstner bits, one to cut a central hole the other to cut a shallow circular inscribe hole in a sheet of perspex, I then fit the existing guide bush in the hole and lined it up with the router cutter to centralise it. Once lined up I drilled out the fixing holes in my router base and fixed the perspex to the router. I'll try to update with some pictures. I am going to try my perspex base as soon as I receive the 8mm collet I ordered for my router.

It seems that a lot of people use a trend unibase which I am now thinking of buying (could use it with my other routers too).

I have not yet managed to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions and offers to loan equipment but they know who they are and I really appreciate their help.

Many thank's Mark

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:49 am

Good luck with the jig but the guide bush needs to be rock solid and perfectly central to the cutter or you won't get consistently tight joints unless you meticulously hold the router at the same angle when cutting. The difference between a too tight and a too lose joint is minimal and I had problems with my Leigh until I bought a new router when the problems disappeared. I think the old router, a DW 1/4", had a slight amount of play in the spindle bearing which allowed it to move up and down imperceptibly, but enough to affect the joint.
Keith

Return to “Woodworking”