Which engineered oak floor?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Roger-M
Subscriber

Which engineered oak floor?

Postby Roger-M » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 pm

My daughter is considering having an engineered oak floor laid in her 1930's semi in Kingston Upon Thames. She's busy getting quotes, and her favoured one gives 2 prices, one of about £20/sq-m using a Wickes product, and the other in European Oak for about £50/sq-m, plus fitting in each case. Not done any flooring but I know many of you guys have done. She's been told that the Wickes product uses a soft Chinese oak look-a-like which marks easily, and that the European Oak is a far superior product that is far harder wearing, all of which sounds like sense.

Which brands of engineered flooring should she be looking at? I've heard good things about Kahrs, but there must be others. The floor is intended for a kitchen diner over underfloor heating, the hallway and lounge to cover the existing suspended pine strip floors (not t&G) which are shoddy and which have wide gaps between the boards through which the wind howls.

I've suggested a carpet and decent underlay, but that's not the look they want. They have no dogs and one small child. They intend to live there for the next 5 years or so, but probably not much longer.

What should I be suggesting she looks at to get the best product at the best compromise on the price/quality curve? Ideally doesn't want to spend more than £50/sq-m unless there is a clear reason to do so, and if she can get away with less then so much the better.
Cheers, Roger

jfc
Administrator

Re: Which engineered oak floor?

Postby jfc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Hmmm wood floor with underfloor heating ? Its probably been done without a problem but ive never seen it .
Champion timber and Alsford timber have branches local to Kingston and stock the better quality flooring . Maybe get a quote from them to compare ? They wont fit it though .

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 pm

I know that Kahrs specifically state that their engineered floors are fine for use over under floor heating. Obviously not for solid wood though. Thanks for the supplier suggestion - we'll check them out.
Cheers, Roger

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:49 pm

I have done engineered over underfloor heating. The last place was over joists with kingspan and a biscuit mix. We went out into an extension and I decided to keep with joists rather than a slab because there would be big differences in temperature between the thermal mass of the slab v biscuit mix build up. This would have greatly increased the probability of it misbehaving.
The farm is a glue down insulation on screed, its been great, no problems at all. Its from a German online firm, I dont know if they ship to the UK, but price and quality is good.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Rodger, underfloor heating should not be a problem, make sure it is one of those clip together versions and make 100% sure you have a good clearance on all the walls, and don't fix it to anything.
Basically a floating floor!

Oh and the obvious, make sure the sub floor has no humps or bumps....

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Roger, you could talk to Broadleaf http://www.broadleaftimber.com/news/pos ... -i-need-it or Alan at Brooks Brothers they could supply you but dont fit.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:58 am

I thought that wood was a pretty good thermal insulator?

Make sure they get decent 'underlay' - if that's the right word. Otherwise as they walk over the floor, the clack-clack-clack will drive them mad.

The key thing to look for is thickness of the oak veneer on top.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:00 pm

http://www.elkaflooring.com/index.php/o ... engineered

You can get Elka from Selco's, i did some work on a place that was of a large open plan of around 100m2 with under floor heating, not sure if the underlay was Elka but it was perforated i guess to allow better heat transfer.

http://www.birbek.com/products/quick-th ... erlay.html maybe this stuff

http://www.lfdirect.co.uk/elka-engineer ... c-56-c.asp

I prefer oiled as easier to touch in scratches.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:19 am

Hi guys - just a quick "thank you" to all those who have offered their advice, and provided links to recommended suppliers. I have passed your comments on, together with a few of my own, and my daughter and son-in-law can make their own decision now. All help offered much appreciated.
Cheers, Roger

Parquet Dave

Postby Parquet Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Return to “Woodworking”