wardrobe door hinges - cup positions wrong, doors rubbing.

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
tallhat

wardrobe door hinges - cup positions wrong, doors rubbing.

Postby tallhat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:42 am

hi, i got a door company to supply 8 new wardrobe doors that i'm going to hang myself using american-style "frame overlay" concealed hinges (http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/blum-120- ... -212-p.asp ) which i've already ordered.
the problem i have, having hung the first door, is that the back edge of the door rubs a bit on the frame when opening and closing. i think over time this will also put strain on the hinges.
i specified the hinge cup-holes in the doors @ 3mm from door edge, but the door company drilled them at 4.5mm (grrr....), hence the 'rubbing'.

i've spoken to Blum (in the UK) about the hinge mounting plates, as was wondering if i could get 'thicker' ones to make up for the cup position error! but all they could suggest was an 'improvised' packing out the mounting plates by 1-2mm. (downside here being i've got 32 hinges to consider!)

here's the mounting plate: http://cdn.cabinetparts.com/media/image ... a8da32.jpg

any suggestions for what to use to cut a spacer? would simply using washers behind the mounting plates make them like to shift around after a while?
adhesive pads stuck to back of the plates??
any other ideas?

i've also considered:
1) redrilling the door cups (argh!)
2) bevelling the back edge of the doors (argh! they are pre-spray-painted!)

thanks
chris

JonR
Occasional Poster

Re: wardrobe door hinges - cup positions wrong, doors rubbing.

Postby JonR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:31 am

I would put small washers between the door plate part to give me enough throw on the hinge.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:27 am

Can you not send the doors back?
Keith

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:57 am

Can you change the hinges and use a Grass Tiomos hinge instead.

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:33 pm

I second what Siafins said, those hinges you have are a pain in the backside, no where near as much adjustment, either go for an inset hinge matched to the gap you need and drilling dimension with a 0mm or 2mm baseplate or if that won't work a standard hinge on 14mm or 19mm base plate.

Return to “Woodworking”